What's new

mmmmum Ribs on a stick (w/pix)

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
These aint your mommas ribs....

So I have been wanting to speed up the amount of time it takes to make good ribs and thought that putting them on the rotisserie would be a good idea. Sure you could smoke them in a smoker for 4 hours, grill them with an offset pile of coals in the Weber in about the same amt of time, or even cook them in the oven. But we all know that everything tastes better on a stick lol!

So I started with this

Then by running a knife flat against the bone and twisting I peel back enough of the hard white cartilage that I can then get a grip of it and peel it off the ribs in one sheet. Imo this stuff on the underside of the rib offers no good taste and keeps the ribs from becoming tender.

If you pull that off right then you get something that looks like this...

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
cont....

Next add a dry rub of your liking to both sides of the ribs. I used two kinds as I cooked a set of baby back ribs.

"Magic Dust" SC Mustard Run
1/4 cup sweet paprika 2tsp dry mustard
3 tbs brown sugar 2tsp sweet paprika
2 tbs black pepper 2tsp salt
1 tbs chilie powder 1tsp pepper
2 tsp garlic powder 1 tsp white pepper
2 tsp dry mustard 1tsb garlic powder
2 tsp celery salt 1tsp onion powder
1tsp coarse salt 1tsp cayanne pepper

After this you can start making slits every two bones in the middle of the rib so that you can 'weave' on the ribs to the spit. This is a little tricky the first couple times but then you get the hang of it. Here's what that looks like.

I cook them using a vertically mounted IR burner @ about 350 for 90 min, or until the meat has pulled about 1/4 of an inch away from the ends of the bones. The great thing about cooking ribs this way is that the rib is constantly turning basting its-self and since the heat source is not under the ribs you don't have to worry about fat flare-ups. If smoke flavor is wanted you can place wood chips on top of a horizontal burner during the last 25 min. Set and forget ribs.

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Here is the outcome:

Gonna enjoy a 03 Rass and a few Bookers after chowing :p)

Mikes

Electric Sheep

Dsicle - BoM Dec 06
Rating - 100%
58   0   0
Hmmm, never thought about ribs on a rotisserie...we generally cook them in an offset smoker, and like you said, it takes about 4 hours. 90 minutes on a rotisserie would be nice.

Now I know they're probably good, but still, is it really as good as smokin em?

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
I have an offset smoker and if you got the time this IS the way to cook your ribs (I use my smoker ever chance I get). On the gas grill for the amount of time invested, 90 min, these ribs are pretty damn good. Tender, Tastey, Moist with an exterior rub bark locking in the flavor. Give it a whirl :O)