What's new

Mold after Boveda seasoning

Capn_Jackson

A Razorback lost in Texas land
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Hello all.

After seasoning my new humi with the 84% Boveda packs for the prescribed 2-week period, I opened up today and I’ve got a few spots of white fuzz on the top rack, mostly inside the slats. The rest of the lining down below looks pretty good, and it seems to be just on the top rack. Pretty bummed to open it up and see that right there on the top. I’m keeping my cool, and trying to think exactly what I should do. I need the top rack to promote proper air circulation with all these sticks, or I would just go without it. What are your thoughts? Wipe it down with alcohol and let it dry? Thanks for the suggestions, and cheers! I’ll try not to get too bummed about it.

Jackson

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Where did the racks come from? There really shouldn't be a mold problem if they are new. I understand your reluctance to use them. Maybe a light sanding will help.

Capn_Jackson

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Where did the racks come from? There really shouldn't be a mold problem if they are new. I understand your reluctance to use them. Maybe a light sanding will help.
The rack came with the humidor. It’s the ordinary Prestige Imports Landmark 300-count humidor.

Capn_Jackson

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
And you didn't spray water on the rack or wet the Bovedas?
No, not at all. Just wiped with a dry cloth and placed the Bovedas, then closed it for two weeks. The temp in that room creeps above 75 degrees at night sometimes with the heater on. It’s always a different temp than the rest of the house. That high of a temp is the only thing I can think of.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
75 degrees may be it. I've "reconditioned" cedar trays in the past with a light sanding using fine grit sandpaper. Might give it a try.

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
This is why I disagree with the 84 boveda seasoning. I’d wipe it down with some good alcohol and drop some 65 or lower beads or boveda and let things stabilize.

a light sanding wouldn’t hurt but the alcohol should take care of things. 84 is too much moisture

mold spores are always present. I season my cedar to about 70 percent. Then I drop down to 65 69 percent

75 degrees isn’t gonna be a problem if you stay down to 65 percent.

I’d rub things down good with alcohol and leave the lid open for a few days or a week and start over

Nacho Daddy

Irrepressibly Irreverent Inveterate Ignominy
Rating - 100%
121   0   0
75 deg and 82% will grow mold in space.:astronaut:

70 deg max and 70% is the threshold for mold.(y)
I know you were following instructions, but there you go..........:bored:

wipe it all down w/a Q tip and alcohol, and throw your humistat in there, checking every 4 to 6 hours.:watching:
I use 65% Bovida, you may want to try 69% to start.:headphone:

Capn_Jackson

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
75 deg and 82% will grow mold in space.:astronaut:

70 deg max and 70% is the threshold for mold.(y)
I know you were following instructions, but there you go..........:bored:

wipe it all down w/a Q tip and alcohol, and throw your humistat in there, checking every 4 to 6 hours.:watching:
I use 65% Bovida, you may want to try 69% to start.:headphone:
I use 65%, and 62% in my CC humi. I know guys who’ve used the 84% seasoning packs no problem, but their humi was in a much cooler environment. Around 67 degrees. That rh combined with the 74-75 degree temp is sure to have created problems.