What's new

Mold

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
So I have a mold questions that's actually not an "is this mold or plume?" question lol.

I noticed recently my wino was having some humidity issues (I don't think the Bovedas were keeping up with the wave of high New England humidity) and was running upwards of 73-74% while its usually 67ish%. Not a huge difference but I guess enough to cause some issues.

So all my my sticks were fine except for three 2011 Connie 1's left from a fiver I got a while back. The three of these all had a bit of mold on the foot unfortunately (surprisingly none on the wrapper). In my head I already know the answer is throw them out, don't risk it, which I would with almost any cigar in there but these are some damn good sticks, not an every day smoke. I snipped like a 1/4" off the foot and there was no signs of mold running up the filler and quarantined them. Are they still junk? The mold wasn't on there for long, I check my cigars regularly. When there is mold on the foot, does it creep up into the filler even if you can't see it?

Luckily, this is my first time dealing with any mold issue. I am pretty meticulous about keeping my sticks healthy. Any suggestion? Thanks guys.

memphsdad

But I don't live in Memphis
Rating - 100%
116   0   0
Is it really worth the risk? Only you can answer this question bro.

As far as the RH in your wino - Rotating sticks, and keeping loose singles away from the fan will help with the mold. If your wino is running so often that the fan has condensation a lot, then it will be unavoidable.

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
I have almost no experience with mold, but might I suggest isolating them (perhaps a small tuperdore with a bodeva pack). Let them chill and see if they develop any more mold? If not, then you're good to smoke. If they do develop mold, then at least you haven't put your other cigars at risk.

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Is it really worth the risk? Only you can answer this question bro.

As far as the RH in your wino - Rotating sticks, and keeping loose singles away from the fan will help with the mold. If your wino is running so often that the fan has condensation a lot, then it will be unavoidable.
Thanks @memphsdad. I'm good about rotating but maybe they are too close to the fan. Thanks for the tip!

memphsdad

Rating - 100%
116   0   0
I have almost no experience with mold, but might I suggest isolating them (perhaps a small tuperdore with a bodeva pack). Let them chill and see if they develop any more mold? If not, then you're good to smoke. If they do develop mold, then at least you haven't put your other cigars at risk.
If the mold is inside of the cigar, how will he see it?

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
If the mold is inside of the cigar, how will he see it?
That's a good point. If it were me, I wouldn't risk it. But, I have read that the heat while smoking usually kills the mold. Is this a myth? I only suggest it because he really seems like he doesn't want to trash'em.

re-reading the original post I see you've already quarantined the sick cigars, so my post is prob not much help.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, if on the outside wrapper, I wipe them with distilled water and isolate them in a Tupperdor w/ Boveda to see if the problem shows up again. If in the foot, they get tossed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

memphsdad

Rating - 100%
116   0   0
That's a good point. If it were me, I wouldn't risk it. But, I have read that the heat while smoking usually kills the mold. Is this a myth? I only suggest it because he really seems like he doesn't want to trash'em.

re-reading the original post I see you've already quarantined the sick cigars, so my post is prob not much help.
I am not a scientist and can not speak to heat killing mold, but I highly doubt it. If mold is on the outside, wipe down and quarantine sticks for a while. If mold is on the foot/filler of the cigar, toss them out. Not worth the risk.

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Geeze, I really didn't read the original post very well. I totally missed the fact that the mold was on the foot and not the wrapper. I'll go sit down now. Lol.