What's new

Moldy HdM Epi#2's

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Received a box of HdM Epi#2's today. They came in a cardboard box, in smaller boxes of 3. Seals unbroken. Genuine article. Apr 16 was the box date. Opened one 3 pack to inspect before putting them down for a nap and found them coated with a nice layer of plume...but also large, white oblong patches of what looks like mold. Three questions. How do I tell for certain if this is mold, and if it is, are these ruined or do I just wipe the mold off and smoke. If I put them in the humidor will this increase the chances of contaminating the rest? I use a wine cooler type humidor that keeps everything at 65/65.

Thanks!

shadowcam

BoM April '14
Rating - 100%
262   0   0
Oh. I'll be helpful.
1. 99% it's always mold.
2. If it's not on the foot of the cigar. Wipe and smoke.
3. If worried about contamination. Wipe. Refrigerate for a couple of days. Freeze for 3 days and then refrigerate for another 2 days and if you are still unhappy. Then throw them away.

Rating - 100%
90   0   0
Pictures aren't needed. Its mold, everything on them is mold. The "plume" that you have is light surface mold and everything needs to get wiped down. Wipe them down with distilled water, then let them dry overnight and inspect the following day to make sure its all gone. Then put it back in your stash and carefully monitor it. You wont be getting plume on boxes that are currently available, plume takes years and years of perfect conditions to grow, if at all.

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
This story never has a happy ending to it...depending where you bought these I'd contact the Vendor and let em know with photos that you'd like some resolution to this. When I buy any product with my hard earned money I tend to want that product to be in good shape. Hopefully your Vendor has a good warranty/guarantee in place and if they don't...change Vendors.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Video of mold on Ep#2

Is this a small enough amt to try and clean off or a large enough amt to warrant a refund. Don't want to open more boxes for fear of them even less likely to take them back.

I'll state the company I got these from if that's ok w forum rules/ethics.

ChuckMejia

The General
Rating - 100%
122   0   0
Oh. I'll be helpful.
1. 99% it's always mold.
2. If it's not on the foot of the cigar. Wipe and smoke.
3. If worried about contamination. Wipe. Refrigerate for a couple of days. Freeze for 3 days and then refrigerate for another 2 days and if you are still unhappy. Then throw them away.
Cant say for sure if its mold.

@Senor Perfecto is the new Mold expert tho.

Rupe

Suburban robot that monitors reality -BOM Feb.'13
Rating - 100%
401   0   0
1. That's definitely mold
2. IMO you should be able to wipe it off and be just fine
3. Naming CC vendors is still taboo here
4. That being said, I'm guessing that the vendor in question rhymes with a certain tasty Mexican treat.

sofc

I hate E and Chef
Rating - 100%
276   0   0
Pictures aren't needed. Its mold, everything on them is mold. The "plume" that you have is light surface mold and everything needs to get wiped down. Wipe them down with distilled water, then let them dry overnight and inspect the following day to make sure its all gone. Then put it back in your stash and carefully monitor it. You wont be getting plume on boxes that are currently available, plume takes years and years of perfect conditions to grow, if at all.
I can grow plume in 3 hours. You're an amateur. :)

shadowcam

BoM April '14
Rating - 100%
262   0   0
It's mold. Getting plume from a ABR 16 box code is impossible... IMO. Unless someone has a plume machine that I don't know about. It's really the standard from the grey vendors at this point. They come sealed now or the sellers are simply too lazy to care. Some of the great vendors in the past are just like the lowest quality vendors now. Pretty sad times.

Edit: ^See Ara for plume machine.

Rating - 100%
62   0   0
100% mold. Plume essentially does not exist. If it does, it isn't an indication of anything in particular -- shit just happens.

Mold, however, is an indication that mold spores and too much humidity were present.

As advised above, wipe and smoke. But if it's in the foot of the cigar, I'd pitch it. Not worth the health risk, if any -- or the bad tasting cigar!

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. That's definitely mold
2. IMO you should be able to wipe it off and be just fine
3. Naming CC vendors is still taboo here
4. That being said, I'm guessing that the vendor in question rhymes with a certain tasty Mexican treat.
Uh...what rhymes with 'bundle of sticks'

Jk

No. But if apple computer were to sell Cubans they would probably bribe this company to sell them the name.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
100% mold. Plume essentially does not exist. If it does, it isn't an indication of anything in particular -- shit just happens.

Mold, however, is an indication that mold spores and too much humidity were present.

As advised above, wipe and smoke. But if it's in the foot of the cigar, I'd pitch it. Not worth the health risk, if any -- or the bad tasting cigar!
Thanks. Doesn't appear to be anywhere but near the head as shown. Granted haven't opened the other boxes. Waiting on an reply from the vendor see what he says to do. Thanks for the help fellas.

ChuckMejia

The General
Rating - 100%
122   0   0
Uh...what rhymes with 'bundle of sticks'

Jk

No. But if apple computer were to sell Cubans they would probably bribe this company to sell them the name.
I have never had any issues with Bryan. But you always have to think about the storage facilities these guys drop ship from. Mold is always a risk, shit even with some LCDH orders. I received some mold in some cigars from an LCDH a while back.

I always write in the comments that i would like the boxes pre inspected before shipment. That has helped a lot.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never had any issues with Bryan. But you always have to think about the storage facilities these guys drop ship from. Mold is always a risk, shit even with some LCDH orders. I received some mold in some cigars from an LCDH a while back.

I always write in the comments that i would like the boxes pre inspected before shipment. That has helped a lot.
That is so funny since this is my second order from Bryan. My first order (some monte 4s) was opened and have been performing very badly which as a noob w this company I feared maybe I got some fakes so I asked that my second order (this order) NOT be opened to help allay my fears. Now look at me. I can't win. :/

ChuckMejia

The General
Rating - 100%
122   0   0
That is so funny since this is my second order from Bryan. My first order (some monte 4s) was opened and have been performing very badly which as a noob w this company I feared maybe I got some fakes so I asked that my second order (this order) NOT be opened to help allay my fears. Now look at me. I can't win. :/
Might just be bad luck bro with the Monte 4s.