What's new

Moldy

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
So upon returning from a 9 month rotation in Korea, I found that my humidor had grown mold (fortunately there was no cigars in it). Is a moldy humidor salvageable or would it be better to just pick up a new on? It got pretty bad.

Nacho Daddy

Irrepressibly Irreverent Inveterate Ignominy
Rating - 100%
121   0   0
toss it.
what was left in it, or where was it stored that it grew mold?
this is the concern I have,will it happen again?
When you get your new humi,give us a pic.
(I bet you get something to fill it with).................:whistle:

Nacho Daddy

Rating - 100%
121   0   0
get a digital Hydrometer and specify Boveda packs for your new outfit.
I recommend 65% for NC or 62% packs for Cuban sticks.
OR, you could get a tupperdor if you think you will want to store large amounts of cigars to age them..........

...Just sayin'..................:angelic:

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
I do have a Tupperware that I use, just need to give a good cleaning. It was a decent humidor nothing that I would worry about tossing, just one that I picked up from CI a while ago.

Nacho Daddy

Rating - 100%
121   0   0
excellent cigar bar there, heat,:wideyed: and sand gnats.:wtf:
welcome........:D

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Went a few rounds with sand fleas in Biloxi. Don't know if sand gnats are the same critter.
A truce was reached: I leave the state, they agree to never set foot in Arizona.
The peace has been kept for 20 years.
I have spent a total of over 2 years in Iraq and have been fortunate to have never tangled with sand fleas

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
It was in the basement, had a cigar oasis in it. Will most likely toss the oasis as well since it green foam was also growing mold
Green foam .....just reading about it makes me nauseous. This stuff is like one of the plagues we read about and yet all of these manufacturers will put them in their humidors and sell them to anyone. It's comparable to selling a nice luxury BMW and put generic oil in the crankcase.....c'mon!

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
Green foam .....just reading about it makes me nauseous. This stuff is like one of the plagues we read about and yet all of these manufacturers will put them in their humidors and sell them to anyone. It's comparable to selling a nice luxury BMW and put generic oil in the crankcase.....c'mon!
This right here. I think they use it because it's supposed to be mold resistant, but in reality it molds up really easily.. :meh:

I second boveda and tuppers.

Buuuut, as far as that humi goes, I'd wipe it out with peroxide, and leave it open in the sunshine for a couple hours at a time, a few different times, leaving a dish of distilled in it between. Then just use it for storing less expensive smokes. May end up being alright.