What's new

Montecristo Especial No. 1

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
This was a beautiful specimen of an elegant vitola from I believe around 1999. I always have a few Especial No. 2 in the humidor, but I usually avoid the No. 1 as I rarely have the time or concentration for such a long, thin cigar (and if I do have the time, I usually fire up a Trini). Last night, I had a little more free time than usual and decided to try something different. I’ve had a run of less than spectacular cigars recently, so I was hoping for something to restore my faith in quality cigars. So here go the nuts and bolts:

Montecristo Especial No. 1
Origin: Cuba
Year: 1999
Size: 7.5 x 38
Smoke time: 90 minutes
Construction: outstanding, just a gorgeous cigar with an ideal draw
Burn: perfect, burned like a champ
Ash: typical dark grey

The cigar started cleanly, with classic nutty, creamy, rich Montecristo flavors. It seemed aged beyond what I would expect of even a 6 year old cigar…smooth and barely tannic. It quickly picked up a lovely cedary taste that I associate more with the Especial line than the standard Monte line. At about the halfway mark, the nutty sweetness gave way to more of a bittersweet chocolate flavor with a corresponding increase in strength. Towards the end, the woodiness became more pronounced, converting to a more exotic wood flavor than cedar alone. I smoked this one down to the nub, which is unusual for me of late. This was a great cigar. I’ll be looking to pick up a few more for aging purposes. Highly recommended.

1f1fan

Toast!
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Great review. Glad you got a good one....I hate when I get a run of duds :crytears: