What's new

Montecristo Estoque

Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Blended by an elite team of Master Blenders at the Tabacalera de Garcia in the Dominican Republic, the Grupo de Maestros (with over 160 years of combined experience) created a new Nicaraguan puro (manufactured by Don Nestor Placencia) to take the popular Montecristo Espada cigar to another level. The Estoque, which is the sword of choice for Bullfighters, comes garnished in the same eye-catching, elaborate banding as the Espada but with black as the primary color instead of brown.

Montecristo Estoque
Wrapper:
Upper Priming Nicaraguan Cuban Seed Viso Jalapa Vintage 2013
Binder: Nicaraguan Criollo Seco
Filler: Nicaraguan Corojo Seco Estelì Vintage 2009, Nicaraguan Criollo Viso Ometepe Vintage 2013, Nicaraguan Corojo Criollo Viso Condega Vintage 2013
Available Vitola: 6 x 50

Flavor Profile
  • Dark, sweet notes of raisin and cocoa on the cold draw.
  • Sweet molasses, espresso, and mild spice through the 1st third
  • Black pepper, smoked hickory on 2nd third
  • Espresso and cocoa notes on the finish

Performance
The Estoque was an easy light and extremely smooth draw for a torpedo. I was able to guillotine cut a minimal amount of the head to get the flow of air I needed without running the risk of unravelling.

A single flamed torch was used and the burn was impeccable on the first sample smoked. From start to finish the burn line was razor-sharp and clean. The second sample's burn was good (a little wavy), not great, and no touch-ups were needed. Both produced a pasty, grey ash with fine layers and no tooth. As the Estoque burned I noticed that there was always a series of lighter color specks or dots right above the burn line. This posed no problem but it was interesting to watch the color change from the heat. Halfway through the Estoque, the draw opened up considerably allowing for more pronounced flavors from the second to final third.

Summary
In my opinion, this Montecristo is one of the line's fuller body smokes with a pleasantly complex and a savory flavor profile. The strength speaks to the inspiration, as you can't very well have a mild cigar named after an iconic instrument of coolness and bullfighting carnage! Of the two "sword themed" Montecristos, the Estoque is definitely my favorite as I believe it is definitely an improvement over the first. For a retail price of around $15, this wouldn't be an everyday smoke for me, but one that I'd pick up if I couldn't easily decide on something when walking into my Brick and Mortar's humidor and I had a little extra to spend. While fuller in body, the Estoque won't leave you feeling like a bull gored you in the butt. Give it a try, but don't wear red while smoking it.

Check out my full post at www.CigaHr.com. Thanks in advance for checking it out BOTL!