What's new

Montecristo Robusto EL 2006

Rating - 100%
21   0   0
This cigar has a beautiful dark dark wrapper, I believe its a maduro wrapper on these not sure so correct me if I'm wrong, and is a re-issue of the much sought after Montecristo Robusto EL 2001.

Lit this little puppy and cut it the first few puffs produced little if any smoke and I got some bitterness and what felt like ammonia from it that almost made me want to MU it anyway I decided to carry on with this smoke and see if it got any better. Seems to me the wrapper on this one doesn't want to burn and makes me wonder if this is a maduro perhaps Cuba is best served if they stay away from it.

The taste of ammonia soon disappeared however there was still an underlying bitterness to this smoke and has one of the worst burns I've experienced in a long long time. I tried to let it correct itself but it seems to keep getting worse. I must have retouched this cigar at least a dozen times while I smoked it.

The bitterness dies down a notch or two after around the half way mark and I get to taste some earthy, cedar notes with hints of espresso. I'm enjoying this cigar at this point and the ash is a beautiful dark gray however the burn is horrible, needs constant correction and this cigar has been burning hot since the get go not sure if that's because of the constant corrections I'm been making to it or that's just how it is.

This cigar has a nice long finish, towards the end I can taste some leather and what feels like white pepper on the back of my throat. My mouth has a wonderful peppery creamy coating to it which I'm quite enjoying.

All in all this cigar has left me pretty damn confused not sure what to make of it. It frustrated and delighted me all the same there's something there I feel as it seemed a bit muted. At 5 years old I think this cigar still needs a few years to develop its flavours.

Rating - 100%
31   0   0
I have these & have not experienced any bitterness or ammonia. IMHO, a good but not great cigar. One of the reasons I stopped buying ELs. I can get a prime quality box of MC#2s for less than these cost.