What's new

Montecristo Serie V

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I figured my first attempt at a "formal" review might as well be for the source of my handle.

I purchased a box of Montecristo Serie V mini churchills around christmas, and they have been unopened in my humidor untill today. Prior to purchasing the box, I had smoked one of these that came in a sampler pack, and liked it.

Pre-light notes: Georgous (sp?) wrapper, no blemishes, less veiny than most NC I've seen/smoked. Also, this stick had wonderful tooth. I hadn't seen anything like it since some Onyx Reserves I had a couple years ago. The smell was pure tobacco bliss for lack of a better term.

I used my trusty Xikar XI2 to cut it, and tried lighting with my Zippo, but like once again couldn't seem to get the foot lit evenly (seems to be an issue for me with the Zippo lately), so I torched it some more with a butane lighter I've been using. Very easy to light, and once I used the butane it was a very even light.

Burn: Very, very even. started to tunnel slightly around 1/2 mark, but by the 2/3 mark was all even again. Ash held very well, nice grey color and densely packed. Even the ash had little bumps!

Flavor: One word: smooth. I tasted hints of leather and wood with more of a coffee overtone. It seemed to have a subtle sweetness to it that became slightly more noticable towards the end. I have to admit though, that I usually can't pick out the different flavors that are traditionally described in cigars, and tend to classify more along the lines of bad/ok/pretty good/good/really good/freakin awesome when it comes to taste. However, this cigar was extremely well blended. Not a single hint of harshness, one of (if not the) smoothest smokes I've had, from start to finish.

Strength: I would put this as being mild/medium-medium bodied. I think it would make a great smoke any time of day or night, whether with coffee in the morning or after steak for dinner, even with a sweet dessert it would be a nice compliment. I had a Saranac Hefeweizen as I smoked and they fit together perfectly.

It built up slightly in strength from about the 1/2 point to the end, but not much. I thought the most noticable change in taste was that the coffee notes became somewhat more pronounced. I smoked it until there was nothing left to hold, and it didn't get even the slightest bit harsh. Slightly hotter, but not to the point that the taste was overpowered.

Overall this was one of the best cigars I've had in a long time. I would say it's at least as good as the FFOX I had a few weeks ago (not sure the size, but it was a belicoso/torpedo shape), and when price is factored in, the Serie V blows it away, IMO.

I give it an 8 out of 10. :thumbsup: