What's new

more questions

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Grod day everyone!

I've been doing a lot of reading and watching videos in the past week, and just when I think I have an entry level understanding, I realize I don't. Lol! I have a couple questions that I'd like your insight/advise on. (I'm sure more to come.)

Cigar leaf case. I am taking this to mean the feel of the leaf, in respect to humidity? I have read that there is a low, middle, and high, and you want certain parts of the cigar to be at a certain case, i.e., low case = filler, middle case = wrapper, and high case = wrapper. (nort sure if that's accurate) How do you tell the casing of a cigar? I saw somewhere that low case is not quite crumbly to the touch... What would middle and high casing be?

Also, do home made cigars go through a 'sick' period as CC's do? I have read mostly no.

Thanks for your contribution to the education of a newb! lol!

Rex

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Grod day everyone!

I've been doing a lot of reading and watching videos in the past week, and just when I think I have an entry level understanding, I realize I don't. Lol! I have a couple questions that I'd like your insight/advise on. (I'm sure more to come.)

Cigar leaf case. I am taking this to mean the feel of the leaf, in respect to humidity? I have read that there is a low, middle, and high, and you want certain parts of the cigar to be at a certain case, i.e., low case = filler, middle case = wrapper, and high case = wrapper. (nort sure if that's accurate) How do you tell the casing of a cigar? I saw somewhere that low case is not quite crumbly to the touch... What would middle and high casing be?

Also, do home made cigars go through a 'sick' period as CC's do? I have read mostly no.

Thanks for your contribution to the education of a newb! lol!

Rex
Case is how flexible it feels in your hands, which is similar but not the same, maybe, as how humid it is. It's not difficult to figure out when you start rolling. You want everything to be as dry as possible for what you intend to do with it. That means filler should fold up without much breaking: binder should bind without breaking; wrapper should be very flexible, even floppy, but not damp or moist.

I LMFAO at anyone who says home rolls don't have sick periods. They usually do, and it's usually pretty bad. It's usually somewhere along the 2 days to 2 weeks post-roll.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They usually do, and it's usually pretty bad. It's usually somewhere along the 2 days to 2 weeks post-roll.
Thank you for the clarification on case. Kinda what I thought. Really, 2 days to 2 weeks!!?? Wow! I was thinking maybe more into the 4 week period.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Thank you for the clarification on case. Kinda what I thought. Really, 2 days to 2 weeks!!?? Wow! I was thinking maybe more into the 4 week period.
Well, you'll find out what's real for you with the stick that you make in the place that you are. The variables on what can happen are endless.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
"Case" is dampness, Rex. They say "case" instead of damp cause it makes them feel special. You won't find that meaning of the word in the dictionary. But I am the only one gets grumpitty about it. Go to this vid about the 20th minute to see how damp your different leafs should be:

Your gar will smoke fine right off the table. May taste a bit rough, as the various strains have not yet learned how to play well together. Next day or two, it goes all stanky on you. Six weeks later, it is great. Six months later, it's all mellowed out. Two years later, it's just a monument to your patience, but you haven't accomplished much more'n six months.

Welcome aboard. The more pics you post here, the more we like you. Cause we love to see pics of home rolled goodness.

Enjoy.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
"Case" is dampness, Rex
For a leaf to be "in case" means it has absorbed moisture and become flexible.

One determines the case of a leaf by flexing it in one's had to see if it has become sufficiently flexible. Low case leaf has absorbed very little moisture and is not very flexible: high case has absorbed a lot and is very flexible. Surface moisture (dampness) doesn't tell you anything about a leaf's case. You can spray a leaf and it'll be damp but still not "cased."

Don't roll with damp leaf.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0

This is a quite old tobacco term that vexes most people unfamiliar with its use. With regard to tobacco, it is a statement of its moisture content. Out of case describes tobacco that is so dry that it crumbles to fragments and dust when handled in any way. In case describes tobacco that contains a high enough moisture content that it can be easily handled, without damaging the leaf. With regard to users of whole leaf tobacco, there are four general levels of case:

out of case:
very noisy, like dried autumn leaves, and crumbles when handled
low case:
much quieter, is mostly flexible, though it may crack slightly
medium case:
sounds like thick vinyl, is entirely flexible, and has a moderate stretch
high case:
silent, feels somewhat moist, though not wet, is flexible and fully stretchy

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Case" is dampness, Rex. They say "case" instead of damp cause it makes them feel special. You won't find that meaning of the word in the dictionary. But I am the only one gets grumpitty about it. Go to this vid about the 20th minute to see how damp your different leafs should be:

Your gar will smoke fine right off the table. May taste a bit rough, as the various strains have not yet learned how to play well together. Next day or two, it goes all stanky on you. Six weeks later, it is great. Six months later, it's all mellowed out. Two years later, it's just a monument to your patience, but you haven't accomplished much more'n six months.

Welcome aboard. The more pics you post here, the more we like you. Cause we love to see pics of home rolled goodness.

Enjoy.

Enjoy.
Yep! This is what made me ask about 'case'. I wasn't sure what the 'definition' of low, med, or high case compared to this great video. lol!

Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This is a quite old tobacco term that vexes most people unfamiliar with its use. With regard to tobacco, it is a statement of its moisture content. Out of case describes tobacco that is so dry that it crumbles to fragments and dust when handled in any way. In case describes tobacco that contains a high enough moisture content that it can be easily handled, without damaging the leaf. With regard to users of whole leaf tobacco, there are four general levels of case:

out of case:
very noisy, like dried autumn leaves, and crumbles when handled
low case:
much quieter, is mostly flexible, though it may crack slightly
medium case:
sounds like thick vinyl, is entirely flexible, and has a moderate stretch
high case:
silent, feels somewhat moist, though not wet, is flexible and fully stretchy
Thank you! This helps a lot! :)