What's new

My 401K

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Personal Rate of Return from 01/01/2008 to 12/29/2008 is -47.5%
Now I'm too scared to look at my IRA. 20+ fucking years I've been socking away 15% of my pay. Good little fella believed all the BS. Isn't that special? Any chance I'll recover that within 12 years?

To anybody planning to retire in the next few years: You have my deepest sympathy.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Now I'm too scared to look at my IRA. 20+ fucking years I've been socking away 15% of my pay. Good little fella believed all the BS. Isn't that special? Any chance I'll recover that within 12 years?

To anybody planning to retire in the next few years: You have my deepest sympathy.
Year to date, mine is -51.15%. I believed all the BS but never got around to putting that much away. Luckily I never much thought of retiring at 65 -- I'm 55 now, so I'll be working for a while.

njstone

BoM January 2010
Rating - 100%
167   0   0
I stopped paying in back in March because i thought this might finally be "it." Sadly, I turned out to be right. My ytd is down, but not all that much--those guys who run the Comstock are geniuses and adapted very well.

Craig Mac

BoM 4/10 7/11 12/14
Rating - 100%
446   0   0
Too depressing to look at myself, I think I am in between that 30-40% last time I looked. I can only just hope for a turn around and let it ride a few years.

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I know that this year has been a bad one for all of us in terms of losing on our retirement funds. I don't know of anyone who has really made anything in the marketplace. We have lost almost 30% in ours this year but our financial guy is very good and has seen times like this and expects things to level out in the second quarter of the coming new year. Probably that worse thing to do is to take out your funds now and live with this current loss,,,not only will it disrupt the market but you will lose any chance of being able to bring your assets back into line when the market recovers. To stay the course is hard but to incur more losses by de-stabilizing the marketplace and having a run on the banks will crush any chance of a comeback.

Since last month ours has stopped the decline and is now moving forward but having a good financial person and knowing whether or not to be aggressive is key right now. Good luck to all of us.

Rating - 100%
47   0   0
I know that this year has been a bad one for all of us in terms of losing on our retirement funds. I don't know of anyone who has really made anything in the marketplace. We have lost almost 30% in ours this year but our financial guy is very good and has seen times like this and expects things to level out in the second quarter of the coming new year. Probably that worse thing to do is to take out your funds now and live with this current loss,,,not only will it disrupt the market but you will lose any chance of being able to bring your assets back into line when the market recovers. To stay the course is hard but to incur more losses by de-stabilizing the marketplace and having a run on the banks will crush any chance of a comeback.

Since last month ours has stopped the decline and is now moving forward but having a good financial person and knowing whether or not to be aggressive is key right now. Good luck to all of us.

No financial guy has ever seen anything like this! These are new times. Things will get worse before they get better. Most ALL stocks are down, commodities are down, and even bonds are flat. Very strange. I moved all of my securities into MM and bonds last March so I have escaped the worst. I am sorry to all who have lost. I am in the hedge fund business and this is terrible. I have never, not ever dreamed anything like this would happen. Not only do the markets suck, but we have yahoos like Madoff and others defrauding the public. I have no crystal ball, but I would think no recovery until at least the third quarter of next year, if we are lucky. Do not sell anything right now that is down. I might suggest allocating more toward bonds or Money Markets until we begin some type of recovery. Hang in there. We have seen horrible things before and we will get through this!

Rating - 100%
57   0   0

You'll be alright! If you're not retiring for another 12yrs within in 5 you'll be made whole with some modest gains at least that's my opinion. Now if your money was in realestate then I think in 12 yrs you might be fucked! I've heard there is an 8yr surplus of new construction or something like that, I don't know but that's crazy!

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
I just figured retiring was no longer an option. Guy I work with is 70 and was retiring next month. He is really at a loss. Time to start another business. At least then I will have something to sell again in 10 years.

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
No financial guy has ever seen anything like this! These are new times. Things will get worse before they get better. Most ALL stocks are down, commodities are down, and even bonds are flat. Very strange. I moved all of my securities into MM and bonds last March so I have escaped the worst. I am sorry to all who have lost. I am in the hedge fund business and this is terrible. I have never, not ever dreamed anything like this would happen. Not only do the markets suck, but we have yahoos like Madoff and others defrauding the public. I have no crystal ball, but I would think no recovery until at least the third quarter of next year, if we are lucky. Do not sell anything right now that is down. I might suggest allocating more toward bonds or Money Markets until we begin some type of recovery. Hang in there. We have seen horrible things before and we will get through this!
I am referring to the ups and downs in the market. Nothing is exactly the same but what would you call the Great Depression then? The markets tanked because of the unsrupulous conduct of those in charge,,,period. People like Madoff are all over the place and well insulated otherwise how was he able to pull off 50 billion dollars in a Ponzi scheme so easily?

Rich Dad Poor Dad,,,the book,,,remember the authors warning? Guess he was right now wasn't he? There are other authors who read the signs and forecasted these kinds of problems as well but nobody listened because hedge fund boys were selling stuff they didn't have a right to sale,,,it's like selling air, you don't see it but it's out there. We knew about the sub prime loans,,we knew about how wrong it was to sell a loan at inflated values because we're all believing the BS that property and real estate are the best hedges against inflation,,,now c'mon. Have you read the last 100 year values of real estate across the board and I'm not talking about New York penthouses either. Everyone was on this roller coaster thrill ride and acting like the bottom would never fall out and anyone who says we didn't see this coming is putting their heads in the sand and acting like this is such a shock.

If they don't get a handle on the foreclosure market then recovery won't start until 2010 at best. The second coming in real estate is all those ARM's that were sold and will be coming due in years 2010-13 and this wave will kill the market unless the Gov't will back the real estate industry in backing loans as they are starting now with re-fis in the 4.5% area. I'm not usually a gloom and doom kinda guy and I'm not an economics major but I listen and read quite a bit and the experts did know but nobody listened to them because we were busy counting our money when the sub prime lenders took us all to the cleaners.

My fingers are crossed, too,,,,,we have since changed our portfolio as did our financial guy and we are at least earning 5-7%. To all investors out there who have money in the market,,,it's ok to ask questions, it's ok to walk into the office and demand an accounting of where your money is being put. If you sit there on your hands and just keep dishing it out to some investor and he's telling you that there isn't anything he can do right now,,,,time to get another guy. As grandpa always told me,,forewarned is forearmed and not doing anything is disaster. Time to get educated esp. when it comes to your future and retirement because the wrong guy can lose it all,,,every cent you worked 20-30 years for. Just my economic rant,,,,

rick12string

Caught in the Crossfire
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Look at it this way. If you&#8217;re contributing to a 401K you're purchasing at sale prices right now and getting more for your money. Hopefully it will all be back up by the time you need it.

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
The money in my matress hasn't changed a bit. I feel for anyone who has lost money in this. When i lost my last job I had to cash out my 401k and even with the penalties, I probably saved money from where it would be now.

bballbaby

Nov '08 BoM
Rating - 100%
183   0   0
tru dat dave...and all my gold and silver is gonna be worth a mint when this is all said and done, which i believe will be in about 3 years.

2 more years of industries and businesses bombing and tanking world wide, and then a complete collapse of the financial system, which will take a year...from there, a new monetary system, backed by gold, the way it should be. Hooray for me!!!!