What's new

My cheap tupperdore set-up (feedback welcomed)

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a delivery of some Habanos yesterday, from my buddy who got back from Cuba 3 weeks ago. I got a 25 cab of R&J Mille Fleurs (more on those later), a 10 cab of Montecristo No.4s & a 10 cab of H. Upmann Connoisseur No.1s!. Cost about 150 pounds Sterling. In preparation, I have put together a cheap tupperdore which has been up and running for a month or so. My 'dore consists of:

- 9 litre tupperware box, thoroughly cleaned, which isn't quite airtight but lockable
- old fashioned 'wet sponge' type humidifier (supposed to be good for up to 100 sticks), which is a slatted plastic container with two sections, each containing a dense sponge. Into this I initially poured about 100ml of distilled water/PG humidification solution. I poured another 50ml in yesterday;
- basic analogue hygrometer, the type you might find in a reptile vivarium.

I put about 10 loose sticks in there straight away and the 'dore hit desired levels (I'm going for 18-20c & 60-70% RH) pretty quick and maintained this, though the hygro RH reading tends to swing by 10% or so over the course of the day. I understand consistency is key with cigar storage, but overall I was pretty confident with this set-up and excited to get it filled up!

However, since I put in 50 Habanos in cabinets yesterday morning, the RH reading has decreased to just over 50% & isn't showing any signs of increasing after roughly 36 hours now. The Habanos have not been in a humidified environment since they were bought, so I'm guessing initially that they require more humidification then my humidifier is kicking out. There is also a considerable amount of cedar in there now too, so I can also guess that they will be absorbing a fair amount of moisture as well.

I hope this helps to inform/inspire any newbs. Feedback/suggestions welcome!

sofc

I hate E and Chef
Rating - 100%
276   0   0
Hygro should not swing 10% during the day regularly.

If you can find bovedas, they're better than the foam humidifier. Even kitty litter would work better in that environment. Congrats on the smokes. :)

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
@sofc.

I know you already answered, I just wanted to tag you!

@Doomike, is the container exposed to sunlight? Temp changes could affect the reading, and I dont know about that hygrometer, but wire hygrometers are notoriously wonky. Get a good digital hygrometer, calibrate it against a Boveda pack, and that will give you more accurate readings.

Also, Ara is right, go with a few Boveda packs, seal everything up and let it sit for a couple weeks. That rest should allow everything to equalize and you should get more stable readings. If the cigars were not humidified for 3 weeks, they could be a little dry, and in need of recharging, but also opening and closing the container regularly will cause fluctuation in the hygrometer reading. Let the whole thing sit for 24 hrs, take a reading, then check again say every 6 hours and see it if it's reading more stably.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
If your humidity is swinging because of the seal on the Tupperware u might try to find some weather seal at Home Depot . I also found that a couple layers of wax paper cuts humidity loss.

Hope you enjoy your new cigars

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the feedback, folks. Much obliged!

The set up was much more stable without any cigars/cabs in it, so there has to be some reason why RH has dipped. I have kept it pretty much sealed since 36 hours ago, no need to open the box as I can read the hygro through the plastic box. The box isn't in direct sunlight, but maybe it needs to be in a cupboard or some other dark place.

I might order a couple of large boveda packs & monitor the sponge humidifier in the meantime. I'll post an update on it's progress in a week.

Rating - 100%
42   0   0
Thanks for the feedback, folks. Much obliged!
The set up was much more stable without any cigars/cabs in it, so there has to be some reason why RH has dipped. I have kept it pretty much sealed since 36 hours ago, no need to open the box as I can read the hygro through the plastic box. The box isn't in direct sunlight, but maybe it needs to be in a cupboard or some other dark place.
I might order a couple of large boveda packs & monitor the sponge humidifier in the meantime. I'll post an update on it's progress in a week.
Absolutely plan on using Bodeva packs and a digital hygrometer. I began with the same tools when I got started, since I began with one of those glass top humidors.
Way too much maintenence. But for now, you're betting on an untested variable. My immediate suggestions, if you wish....

- Fill a beer bottle cap ( level ) with table salt
- Moisten the salt with drops of distilled water until no salt is dry, like slightly wet sand.
- Lay down a ziplock bag, and lay the cap inside.
- Put that hygrometer in the bag with the wet salt and close it. Leave a pillow of air inside. Do not blow into the bag.
- In 90 minutes the hygrometer should read 75%RH. Some web resources say 24 hours. I've never waited overnight. You can tell when it stabolizes.
- if it's not 75%. Calibrate it and retest.

sofc

I hate E and Chef
Rating - 100%
276   0   0
Absolutely plan on using Bodeva packs and a digital hygrometer. I began with the same tools when I got started, since I began with one of those glass top humidors.
Way too much maintenence. But for now, you're betting on an untested variable. My immediate suggestions, if you wish....

- Fill a beer bottle cap ( level ) with table salt
- Moisten the salt with drops of distilled water until no salt is dry, like slightly wet sand.
- Lay down a ziplock bag, and lay the cap inside.
- Put that hygrometer in the bag with the wet salt and close it. Leave a pillow of air inside. Do not blow into the bag.
- In 90 minutes the hygrometer should read 75%RH. Some web resources say 24 hours. I've never waited overnight. You can tell when it stabolizes.
- if it's not 75%. Calibrate it and retest.
I've waited overnight and it has changed and waited longer and it has changed. That's why I do not deal with hygrometers too much any more.

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
To me....Tupperadors are sealed containers like RubberMaid. They seal which is an important aspect. Klipit or Sterilite are for storage like papers or other types of items you want to store things...not necessarily for the use of storing cigars. Not all Sterilite and Klipit items are the same as some will leech and trying to keep RH in them is a futile exercise that has sent better people than me to the asylum.

A Rubbermaid ( or facsimile ) will do the job correctly...you will get a true RH after about 3-6 hours depending on what media you use. With KL I can lock in any RH within 5 hours...with beads at least a day. Try not to let your numbers bounce up and down like what you found so far. Using hygros is necessary ....it's because it measures relative humidity and not using them only means you are guessing and that's not a smart thing to do even if a certain media promises to tell you otherwise. It's like a speedometer....if you want to guess how fast you're going and a cop pulls you over I wouldn't use the excuse that you know how fast you're going because you don't need a speedometer....that will guarantee you a ticket. With cigars it could mean beetles or it becomes a dried piece of tobacco.

Rating - 100%
59   0   0
In agreement with most everything already stated. They make boxes almost identical to that, but with a rubber gasket in the lid which makes it airtight. That one has no such gasket, and will definitely leak humidity. Bovedas woukd be preferable, but not necessary. Beads, or KL will work just as well. Even gel. I would get rid of the dense foam though, because they have a real tendency to grow mold.