What's new

My new pipe! and a few questions.

cashedash

illusione
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I just got my pipe 34 dollars for the Dr. Grabow briar pipe. And some cherry tobacco, smoked it and enjoyed it very much. I did not know that pipes had filters until today when I took mine apart.

1.If I take my pipe apart every time I smoke to put in a new filter won't the fit become lose after time?

2.Is it necessary to use a filter, could I just take the one in there out and not use them?

3.How often should the bowl be cleaned out, and with what?

4.And if you cloud tell me anything about breaking in a new pipe?

The packaging says "for the first six or seven times fill the bowl half full. Then for the next three or four times alternate between half full and full. Carbon will build up on the inside creating a protective heat shield that should build up to no more than the thickness of a dime."

I have read from gonz's post you should have 5-7 pipes because you can not smoke the same pipe all the time.

5.Does this mean I cannot have 2 or 3 bowls in one day?

6.By having a pipe that has gone sour you mean it tastes bad?

Hope I am not asking any question that have already been answered.

Attachments

Moro

BoM Decembre '08
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Read the stickies, first of all; then letusknow which questions remained unanswered.

Craig Mac

BoM 4/10 7/11 12/14
Rating - 100%
446   0   0
Here is the link to the sticky Moro was refering to [ame="http://www.botl.org/community/forums/showthread.php?t=715"]Getting started with pipes. - BOTL Cigar Forums - Brothers of the Leaf[/ame]

He used to post stuff like that, now he just yells at people:rofl:

SkinsFanLarry

Craft Beer Addict!
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
1.If I take my pipe apart every time I smoke to put in a new filter won't the fit become lose after time? Yes if will.

2.Is it necessary to use a filter, could I just take the one in there out and not use them? Yes you can.

3.How often should the bowl be cleaned out, and with what? I clean mine after every smoke, with pipe cleaners. I do not take it apart to clean, I run the pipe cleaner from the stem thru the bowl. If you can't, take it apart to clean after it completely cools down.

4.And if you could tell me anything about breaking in a new pipe? A pipe builds up a "cake" that insults it and allows the pipe to smoke cool. You want a complete cake so you should always smoke a full bowl.

Carbon will build up on the inside creating a protective heat shield ("cake") that should build up to no more than the thickness of a dime."

I have read from gonz's post you should have 5-7 pipes because you can not smoke the same pipe all the time. Flavored or natural pipe tobacco makes a difference. You smoked Cherry in that pipe, If you smoke Cherry in more than one pipe, they will always have a Cherry taste to them.

5.Does this mean I cannot have 2 or 3 bowls in one day? No it doesn't, always let the pipe completely cool down and clean and let it rest and than later on you can smoke the same pipe again.

6.By having a pipe that has gone sour you mean it tastes bad? To me that means it needs to be cleaned. It could also mean you have smoked several different flavors in the same pipe and the sour taste is the result of that. "Bowl Sweetner" is used by some smokers to help get rid of that problem.

Don't "over puff" or "hotbox" the pipe like you did your cigars and you should be ok. To me the biggest thing with a pipe is patience, because you are always fooling around with it....tamping the tobacco, knocking out excess ashes or re-lighting it.

SkinsFanLarry

Craft Beer Addict!
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
.....now go buy some "good" tobacco from a tobacconist....that Cherry Blend from the gas station is crap....just my opinion!

Last edited:

Boppa-Wasch

BoM March '07
Rating - 100%
65   0   0
Another way to get the "sour" out of a pipe is to fill the bowl with salt and add 3-6 drops of high quality rubbing Alcohol or Ever Clear and let is sit for couple days. The salt will draw the "sour" right out of the bowl.

Moro

BoM Decembre '08
Rating - 100%
29   0   0

SkinsFanLarry

Craft Beer Addict!
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
Another way to get the "sour" out of a pipe is to fill the bowl with salt and add 3-6 drops of high quality rubbing Alcohol or Ever Clear and let is sit for couple days. The salt will draw the "sour" right out of the bowl.
Thanks Ray, I was not familar with that technique. :thumbsup:

cashedash

illusione
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
.....now go buy some "good" tobacco from a tobacconist....that Cherry Blend from the gas station is crap....just my opinion!
Thanks for the answers Larry. Yea I figured it was and plan on buying some good stuff on my next trip to the baccy shop. When I was there I saw they had captain black is that a quality tobacco?

I did read the sticky before I posted this thread.
"I have read from gonz's post you should have 5-7 pipes..."

Rating - 100%
206   0   0
- You don't need 5-7 pipes unless you are smoking a wide variety of tobacco and smoke many bowls per day.

- Captain Black is a decent blend, but it's not what I would consider "quality" tobacco. I'd put this in the same category as machine made cigars.

- Follow your own tastes, but don't purchase large quantities. If you like cherry tobacco, then don't worry about other people who tell you it's crap. Still, I'd advise that you try different blends and keep some sort of journal about your experiences. If nothing else you can read it a year or three from now ... and laugh.

SkinsFanLarry

Craft Beer Addict!
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
When you visit your local Tobacconist, they will carry an assortment of "bulk" tobacco. Some will be there "House Blends" others will be comparable to the different blends you see in drug stores and grocery stores....but a hell of a lot better.

Three good pipe tobacco manufacturer's to look for is Stokkebye, Lane and Consolidated.

When I buy, I get my pipe tobacco from a shop here in North Carolina, he sells to you in many different amounts, including sampler's.

Checkout his website: Cornell & Diehl, Inc

cashedash

illusione
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
When you visit your local Tobacconist, they will carry an assortment of "bulk" tobacco. Some will be there "House Blends" others will be comparable to the different blends you see in drug stores and grocery stores....but a hell of a lot better.

Three good pipe tobacco manufacturer's to look for is Stokkebye, Lane and Consolidated.

When I buy, I get my pipe tobacco from a shop here in North Carolina, he sells to you in many different amounts, including sampler's.

Checkout his website: Cornell & Diehl, Inc
Thank you very much for the link. The only problem I have with ordering on line is my parents are going to be wondering what's in the box when I get it.

The shop did not have more than maybe 7 choices for pipe tobacco but I will have to ask them if that is all they offer next time I am there.