What's new

NC Cohibas, what's the deal?

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
So here's a question for y'all...why is it you never hear anything about the NC Cohibas? I know I've smoked a couple, but before I really got going into cigars and I don't remember anything about them other than they seemed "fine" when I smoked them. Quite overpriced for sure, but are the rockets? Just overpriced to the point where there are better cigars cheaper or for the same price? What's the deal?

gonz

RKBA
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
yeah, one of my first cigar tasting experiences was a cohiba corona ($6.50),
vs. a fuente spanish lonsdale ($3.50).

The Cohiba was "fine"
The Fuente was "good"

Then i tried to figure out why i paid twice as much for a halfway lesser cigar.

The Cohiba XV line is really good, if you can find some that are'nt plugged.
Still overpriced, but damn tasty for NCs.

Pulse

Bite me!
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
They are definately over priced but I can only say that for the prices they ask around here. They are a good smoke, don't get me wrong but I've found plenty of N/C at half the price that are better...in my opinion. I think they are just riding the name a bit more than they should. :smt025

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
What can I say... I like the pequenos. It's IMHO a very good cheap quick smoke. A brick of five 6 packs typically runs about 38- 40 bucks on C-Bid.

I've said it before, but in my experience, these bring less complaints in close smoking quarters then most ISOM's.

gonz

RKBA
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Legends of the Playground said:
The Red Dot/XVs are overpriced chump sticks. Hey, it's just my IMO.
An overpriced chumpstick at $6 ???
The Red Dot XV is the closest i've come to Cuban flavor qualities, in an N/C cigar... at any price.

Sure taste is subjective, but following a CoRo with a NC XV, and questioning the XV's legal status... makes it a fine $6 cigar, IMHO.

However, like i said, the cigars are packed *soaking wet*. I think they need dry boxing for about a week, before they'll smoke. My experiences with the pack jobs on these cigars have been more bad then good. But when ya score a good one, you're in for a nice treat... a creamy, tasty cigar, that wants to make you think it's Cuban.

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
An overpriced chumpstick at $6 ???
Never seen them for under 9-10 bucks. If you're getting them for 6, then it might make me reconsider.

On General's page the cheapest XV (by MSRP) is the 8.40 on the 550. The best price I could find online was 7.60. Certain vendors may sell it for less but the Houston shops I used to frequent all had it for more.

If we split the difference, maybe they're half chumpsticks? :)