What's new

Need advice on Canon Telephoto

Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Looking to get the wife a telephoto for her birthday. She's shooting with T2i, but plans to upgrade to full frame in coming months.

I think I'm sold on 70-200. But, I'm not sold on value/worth of IS or IS II.

Pretty steep incline: 619 => 1149 => 2500

Would a VERY serious amateur be happy without IS? http://www.amazon.com/Canon-70-200mm-Telephoto-Zoom-Cameras/dp/B000053HH5

And...if the IS is pretty important to you, would you consider the 'non-L' 70-300: http://www.amazon.com/Canon-EF-70-300mm-4-5-6-USM/dp/B0007Y794O/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

I'm not ready to shell out the $2.5K. And, I'm conflicted about the 1200....but....I don't want to get her something that she'll be disatisfied with and looking to upgrade immediately.

Thoughts?

Rating - 100%
69   0   0
Firstly what is she shooting? Also I take it you're looking into the 2.8 and not the 4.

The 70-200 2.8 is one of my wedding and photoshoot work horses and it non IS. If she isn't working in low light and low shutter speed situations then there really isn't a need for IS. When shooting human action at 1/250 of a second it will freeze the action enough. IS doesn't help in shooting live action (such as sporting events and what not).

Now the 2.8 is a faster lens and of course works better in lower light situations, also it will give you better separation and make your BG nice a creamy. But if that isn't a desire then the 4 works great as well, you just wont get as shallow of a DOF with it.

Also if she is shooting say still life in a studio in low light and fun lighting situations then there is a much less expensive solution to get IS, a tripod!

Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Thanks, YM. Honestly, I hadn't considered differences between 2.8 and 4. I was looking at f4. I should have known this decision was going to get more complicated quickly. :)

Rating - 100%
19   0   0
She's real happy with her Tamron 24-70 and Canon 10-22 for most applications now. Her only tele is the Canon 'kit' type entry level.. (maybe about 75-200?)

She does a lot of landscape and nature -- and uses tripod 90+ percent of the time. I wouldn't think she'd ever need this new lens indoors.

Rating - 100%
69   0   0
Haha its all good, what does the wife like to shoot?

Also until she goes to a FF sensor the field of view from the crop sensor on the 70-200 will be like if she were using a 112 to 320mm. I still use a crop sensor myself with my 7D and don't have a problem with having to take a few more steps backward to get the framing I want at 200mm.

I was out yesterday doing some lifestyles shots for a marinas website we are doing. Loved having my 70-200 on hand.

Also weight wise the f2.8 is a wee bit heavier then the f4, I want to say the f4 is under 2lbs and the f2.8 is somewhere over 3lbs. I know that doesn't sound like much but during long events that bitch gets heavy haha.

Rating - 100%
69   0   0
She's real happy with her Tamron 24-70 and Canon 10-22 for most applications now. Her only tele is the Canon 'kit' type entry level.. (maybe about 75-200?)

She does a lot of landscape and nature -- and uses tripod 90+ percent of the time. I wouldn't think she'd ever need this new lens indoors.

If she is using a tripod just about all the time, then there is no need for the IS, IS is there to help when going hand held to reduce the shake you will make.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I buy all my EOS lenses from B&H and USA, Grey Market or used I have never been disappointed. I tend to prefer the 2.8 over the 4, but if she is primarily shooting landscapes the the 4 is fine. One things to note, I don't believe you can use a doubler with the 4.

Rating - 100%
69   0   0
Oh how did I miss this today, yeah I would go with B&H on the purchase. They are great and I purchase most everything from them.

Side note if you're ever in NY its a must stop and see store for anyone with a little tech itch.

Rating - 100%
25   0   0
B&H has been all good for me, so I would not hesitate to purchase from them. Also, like others have said if she is doing most of her shooting outside I would think the f4 would be fine. I used to have the f4 but started shooting more inside with my kids in sports and programs so I needed the 2.8 but could not afford the zoom so I picked up a straight 200 f2.8.

Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Thanks for all the advice, guys! Fortunately, the craigslist guy didn't answer. I'm going to order the one from B&H.
Good! You have 4 minutes to order though before on-line sales are closed for Rosh Hashanah.
Yeah. That didn't work out so well. Needed to order by 1PM yesterday in order to ship before next week (Mon or Tues?) I was way too late. Ordered same lens from KEH. Couple bucks more, but also couple notches up in 'graded quality.' Again, I appreciate all the feedback.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go with SIGMA! I have quite a few of their lens'

The only telephoto I own right now is a sigma 150-500 f5-6.3. And what a monster that thing is. Amazing clarity. Though most people will never need a lens that strong.

I shoot with a Nikon but Sigma makes lens' for just about everyone.

And I agree with everyone else B&H is a great place to order from.