What's new

Need help deciding

Rating - 100%
57   0   0
I finally got fed up with my dial up ISP and ordered Adelphia Powerlink this morning. I'm picking up the self installation kit tomorrow at lunch and hope to get a cable modem on my way home from work. I want a wireless setup in the house since there's no cable jack in the office and I don't want another wire running outside the house. I also want to get a laptop soon so I can surf anywhere in the house or on the deck.
My dilemma is: Do I get a combination cable modem/wireless gateway like this http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Motorola-Wireless-Cable-Modem-Gateway--494022-019-00-/sem/rpsm/oid/87780/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

Or should I just get a cable moden and then a seperate wireless router?

HELP!!!! I'm technologically challenged!

Wasch_24

2005 BoY
Rating - 100%
196   0   0
I don't know about the reliability of a combo unit but it seems, on the surface, to be more cost effective.

Are you sure that you have to buy the cable modem? Usually that is provided, either free or for a nominal rental fee.

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
I'm with Todd on this. Double check that you aren't getting a cable modem first. Every cable internet service I'm aware of provides one.

As to wireless routers, I have a Linksys Wireless-G 2.4GHZ that works fantastic.

Rating - 100%
57   0   0
Thanks for the replies guys. I can get one from Adelphia for like 2 or three dollars a month but I don't know why I just prefer to buy it outright.
I went ahead with the combo unit and it's working great so far. I did have some trouble getting it set up since I'm doing it a little backwards from the standard install. There's not a cable outlet in the computer room and I didn't want another wire running around the outside of the house so I hooked up the modem/router in another room and put a wireless network adapter on the computer itself. Because of that I couldn't follow the normal steps outlined on the installation CD.
That's where it came in handy to have a neighbor who is the manager of the local adelphia tech services! he came over and had it zinging in no time!:)
This speed is sweeeeeet!!!

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
No?

And congrats. Glad it's working. I had the same issue when setting up my wife's laptop. Was glad to have someone around with more computer smarts than me!

bigPDAgeek

Lurker
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recommend leasing the modem for the $3 a month. Look at it this way, if a cable modem costs $70 to purchase outright, it will take almost 2 years to break even, much less save money. And with the leased modem, you have insurance if the modem goes bad, or gets zapped by a power surge. You just take the leased one in and get a replacement.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I have been using the Motorola Modem that my ISP set me up with 3 years ago. I added a Linksys wireless router for my other computers and my wireless lappy.

The reason I went with this setup is because Comcast finally figured out that they could push firmware to the cable modems limiting the number of machines at your address. The default number was 8 before, I guess they thought they could sell their home networking package if they screwed up people's networks.

The solution for me was to spoof the mac address in my Linksys wireless router and the problem is solved. I still have all my computers connected and they don't get to charge me the extra 5 bucks a month for multiple lines.

tripp

MASTER SHAKE
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
With cable anytime you have a tech issue they will say it is the modem.

If it belongs to them they will dig deeper and try to figure it out instead of telling you it is your equipment.