What's new

need some vacation ideas for

Rating - 100%
101   0   0
aug. I have thought of several places costa rica and grenade new York st Louis new Orleans. Montana canada. nothing has really popped out at me

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
leave the country.

Flights are more expensive.. but there are some pretty incredible places you can visit that are FAR cheaper than typical US tourist destinations once you get there..

Argentina.. spend a couple of days in Buenos Aires.. then go somewhere more rural and check things out... (wife and I are headed there in November.. we've got 5 days at an all inclusive resort/ranch in Cordoba.. that includes all food, drinks (alcoholic and non alcoholic), etc.. and 2 days of dorado fishing and 2 days of high volume dove hunting.. total cost was $2500 not including airfare (we picked up flights on air miles.. so no cost there for us).. This is where we are staying in Cordoba in November: http://www.argentinasbesthunting.com/

Belize.. avoid the north coast and Ambergris Caye... extremely touristy and can be very expensive if you arent careful.. but if you'll head south of Belize City there are some really cool little isolated all inclusive resorts that are much cheaper than the stuff up north.. flights from the US to Belize are pretty reasonable (and quick).. and there are some really cool excursions that are pretty easy to do from any resort in the South (Mayan ruins, jungle eco tours, etc..etc..).. This is where the wife and I spent a week about 10 years ago.. dont know about their pricing today or how well the resort has held up.. but it was AWESOME when we went in 2008.. http://kanantikbelize.com/

Tanzania - Flights are expensive.. and its a PIA to get there.. but once you are on the ground everything is pretty cheap.. Avoid Arusha/Serengetti.. they know thats where US and Euro tourists go and price things accordingly.. instead fly into Dar Es Salaam and then get one of the safari outfitters to pick you up and take you to Mikumi National Park.. spend 3 or 4 days on a photo safari (hunting Tanzania is outrageously expensive.. but staying in a safari camp and doing a "tour" isnt all that bad at all.. and is "all inclusive").. then head back to Dar Es Salaam and spend a couple of days checking things out there.. Hotels are expensive in Dar.. and there arent many options.. but you can see everything worth seeing in 1-2 days (so not too much expense).. and everything else in Dar is cheap.. I think we spent maybe $100 on "stuff" at a little street market outside of Dar and brought home a ton of stuff.. and had some AWESOME meals are some great restaurants.. and usually only spent $15-$20 for 2 people to eat, have desert, coffee, etc.... Here's who we stayed with in Mikumi.. their camp was nice, food was good, staff was super helpful, etc.. http://www.foxessafaricamps.com/

Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Costa Rica. Buy airfare a few months ahead amd use caravan.com. They have 7 and 9 night deals where you stay 1-2 nights each at 4 or 5 different locations all over the country. You get Pacific Caribbean and interior all inclusive. Remember over there winter rainy season is our summer, and our winter their summer.

Rating - 100%
22   0   0
What kind of activities do you want to do on vacation? Sit on the beach, hike, explore, etc? My wife and I really enjoyed Belize a few years back. As mdwest mentioned, there are lots of excursions you can do: snorkeling, cave tubing, Mayan ruins, etc. On the opposite end of the spectrum, Ireland was probably my favorite vacation we have ever taken. It was much busier than a beach vacation as we were on the move for the entire trip but it's a really neat country.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Consider Charleston, SC. I'm from the area, went to school there... no, not College of Charleston.:angelic:

Plenty to do, eat, drink, smoke, relax, breathe, live, recuperate from the daily grind under the shade of a moss-draped live oak. Friendly folks, inexpensive, several beaches, not too far from Myrtle Beach if you're into that sort of thing, plenty golfing, tons of history, did I mention the folks are friendly? Plenty to do for kids, if you have them. Patriot's Point, Fort Sumter, mucho museums, Front Beach, Folly Island, Sullivan's Island, Kiawah, Edisto, slave market, White Point Gardens, Holy City Brewing... And Avondale for nightlife.

Visit one of the old plantations up the Ashley River, go to Charlestown Landing... pop over to the massive freshwater lakes (Marion & Moultrie, 42 miles across from Pinopolis to Rimini) nearby if you like to fish freshwater, otherwise Bulls Bay area up near Awendaw for saltwater iinshore action.

The Spoleto Festival is going on right now... so the city is dressed up in its finest. Weather is still (relatively) mild, as it always is before the end of June.

Don't miss Bowen's Island for seafood. Local secret.... hush hush. No sign, you just have to know it's there on Folly Road.

But you are a "navy vet" apparently, maybe you were stationed at the base there?

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I love vacation trips....even the planning for them is fun as it gets you excited before you ever put your foot down. As ATL827 said.....it's all about what you enjoy and then plan accordingly around what you like doing. Charleston is a great city....summer time can be a bit harsh with the humidity but the food....oh yeah. Halls Chop House is amazing but expensive but you'll remember it for decades. The beaches are good if you go in the summer. Been to New Orleans many times and it always satisfies esp. if you're a "foodie"...going out to Plantation Alley is fun...plenty of cigars in the city to choose from. Canada is amazing going from the West to East...destination Lake Louise...just the drive from Vancouver to Lake Louise is memorable...the scenery is breathtaking. We're going to do the East Part of Canada next year with 4 nights in Quebec City....if you've never been to Europe and want to see what it's like then QC is a first cousin to the land and food you can experience there...same for Montreal as we'll stay 4 nights there as well.

NOGILLS2

Navigator
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
My favorite vacation is our trip to Alaska, We booked a land and sea cruise. We spent 14 days traveling through Alaska and Yukon Territories. We booked through COSTCO with Holland America. We landed in Anchorage, took Alaska Railroad to Denali National Park. We stayed at Denali for three nights. From there we took a bus to Fairbanks. After a couple of nights there we flew to Dawson City, was there three nights. then a bus to Whitehorse, We rode a narrow gauge train into Skagway. There we board a ship to Juneau and to Vancouver and we flew home. I wish we had planned a couple of days in Vancouver, it is a fantastic place, only we rode from the dock to the airport.
While at Denali we saw Moose, Caribou, Golden Eagles, Gyre Falcons, Bald Eagles, Ground Squirrels, Grizzly bears, Dall Sheep, Raven, wolf, Swan with Signets, Ducks, Black bear with cubs, several different Salmon. At sea we saw whales, Humpback and Orca, Seals, sea otter. It was a trip of a lifetime.

Another place I have been completely in the opposite direction to consider is Malta. I was there for one week and was amazed. I was there teaching. I did get to spend time exploring the island and would like to return to teach for a few months to a year. As an American, you can visit for 90 days without a visa. It is a blend of Italians, Greeks, Spanish, British and Arabic. Some of the most beautiful women I have seen and friendly also.

Attachments