What's new

Need suggestions on high MPG hatchback

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Are you guys still stuck with the first gen focus?

I used to get 30mpg out of a 2.5turbo focus ST (remapped to 270bhp). I think the latest model that just out in the uk is a global model and the one with the 1.6 tdci does 50mpg iirc.

BEN(SWEDEN)

Bockbrännarbolmers
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
I think you should look at turbodiesels from germany (BMW AUDI, VW) Golf has what you are loocking for and the blue motion engines are extremly fuelafficent. And you get the german quality and comfort. You get atleast 40-45 mpg.

TommyGunz

BoM June 2011
Rating - 100%
116   0   0
bmw, audi, vw, or benz all have diesel hatchbacks in small and mid-sized. You could browse those within your budget and size requirements.

The euro diesels are tremendous on mpg and a great choice in my opinion.

Jfire

BoM 9/9' 9/11' 8/12'
Rating - 100%
391   0   0
If yaris comes in a hatchback that would be my choice. Like the geo metro 3 banger with a canadian built enginge of the 90s

gibbleguts

BoM april 09
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
vw golf tdi 42 hiway and dependable!
obviously don't live in the north. VW diesels in northern climates I think are one of the reasons they are still one of the lower rated brands in initial quality. 3 northern winters and most here are getting rid of them or finding a way to wire in a second battery. 6 years in most are blowing black and sputtering a nasty death rattle

BEN(SWEDEN)

Bockbrännarbolmers
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
obviously don't live in the north. VW diesels in northern climates I think are one of the reasons they are still one of the lower rated brands in initial quality. 3 northern winters and most here are getting rid of them or finding a way to wire in a second battery. 6 years in most are blowing black and sputtering a nasty death rattle
Yes i do :)

BEN(SWEDEN)

Bockbrännarbolmers
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
FYI VW in Sweden uses castrol engine oil, I wonder why the VW in Canada has issues.
The Swedish army has a lot of VW caravelle with the same td engine and it is extremly cold but they are the most reliable.

BEN(SWEDEN)

Bockbrännarbolmers
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
Well on north American quality rating VW is still near the bottom. Might as well be looking at Lada's. May be better but still a long ways off of the quality they used to put out.
That is very sad, they should have the same high quality everywhere. How is BMW in north America? Here they are extremely dependable.

smokemifugotem

BoM July '10
Rating - 100%
190   0   1
Mike,

I would go with a Scion XB. You are going to get great mileage and have very little problems since it is a Toyota. I average about 35k miles a year and I just moved on from the car but put 140k miles on it with basically only maintenance to the car. The car is going to average around 35 mpg and things like tires and brakes are a lot less due to the size of the car. I am 6'4 and had plenty of room.
I have a TC and beat the living shit out of it for past 6 years and 140k miles...no issues with verrrryyy little maintenance on my end. 1 set of brakes and 1 water pump (under 100k mile standard warranty). The XB is even less sporty but I have to attest to the extra couple grand extra you get a killer warranty and the cars just take a beating and keep going.

gibbleguts

BoM april 09
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
That is very sad, they should have the same high quality everywhere. How is BMW in north America? Here they are extremely dependable.
BMW is mid range quality here I believe. Think most of their issues are with electronics in the higher end ones. Last I remember reading was a new 7 series was about as reliable as a 7 year old Lexus.

Boppa-Wasch

BoM March '07
Rating - 100%
65   0   0
Pontiac Vibe.....if you can get one.....148K+ on my 2003 and still get 30 + MPG. Just replaced the front rotors. No other major issue's. Don't get all-wheel drive, nocks the mileage down. Same car as the the Matrix by Toyota. Good ride with plenty of room.