What's new

new ashtray project

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
so I found this on craigslist. Looks like it has potential, and for $15 is not out of my price range. Of course I will be removing the unfortunate pink paint job, unless I am ruining a possible collectors piece. What do you guys think about stripping that paint? I think it is missing a glass ashtray that would fit in the bowl you see here. And the owner says the other side is a cigar holder, I think it is for a pack of ciggarettes. Anyhow, should I take it apart in order to strip it, or can I take it somewher to have it done.?

Last edited:

bballbaby

Nov '08 BoM
Rating - 100%
183   0   0
as the resident paint expert, i say whitemetal blasting per SSPC-SP5 or NACE #1. Then you can properly paint it fusia or lavender.

Let your sone have a crakc on that blaster as it will tie in very nicely to his welding skills, despite the weld burn to his eyes.

JRL

Formerly known as Jeeper
Rating - 100%
81   0   0
Looks interesting. Keep us updated on the project and sorry but I can not offer any advice on it.

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
The end opposite the bowl holder is normally a match box holder. It si a nice stand enjoy it!
Cheers,
-Big Frank
Thanks, I left it there to keep it as original as possible, but it get's in the way. I have not done anything with it yet as far as paint goes.

RigilKent

RigilKent
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
i would stay you could strip it with mineral spirits and a scoring pad for the cheap do it at home if you have nothing else. then Spray paint. cheap easy and it would look good.

rick12string

Caught in the Crossfire
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
That hidious paint, may just be primer, might not need to be stripped at all.
I'm thinking the same thing. As long as there’s no rust to remove and the finish is dull not glossy you should be able to paint right over it. As an extra precaution though I think I would prime it first with a Rust-Oleum primer.

Rating - 87.5%
7   1   0
as the resident paint expert, i say whitemetal blasting per SSPC-SP5 or NACE #1. Then you can properly paint it fusia or lavender.
Hahaha priceless :bouncetau

But if you do decide to paint instead of powder you could always just go to your local autozone and pick up a spray can of "air craft remover" to strip the paint then use whats called "prepall" (this is essential) to prepare the surface.