What's new

New coffee maker

jmatkins

BoM January 08
Rating - 99%
159   1   0
Ok so I am looking for a new coffee maker, we have the Keurig now but looking around because I think ours if starting to go.
We are looking for something that will; make coffee, espresso and lattes for the wife. Want to keep it under 200 so let me k ow your thought and experiences.

Thanks
John

Skitalets

Laguito No. 2
Rating - 100%
73   0   0
I don't think it's possible to buy a good espresso machine for under $200. An Aeropress is about $20, though, and makes great espresso. You can dilute the espresso to make an Americano with water.

jmatkins

BoM January 08
Rating - 99%
159   1   0

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Like anything else if you want the best cigars, coffee, etc. you'll pay for what it costs....but when it comes to coffee making I don't think you can make coffee taste any better with a machine than you can with a good FP....great beans and doing the process is going to beat any machine out there....I've tried a lot of the expensive machines and had my coffee made with the most expensive kinds...FP still makes coffee as good as it gets. JMHO

javajunkie

BoM July '12
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
BIG +1 to both the aeropress and french press. actually with those two, you could fake a cappuccino or latte: aero for the brew, then heat up the milk and place in the french press, using the press's wire screen to emulsify the dairy, whipping up a frothy top to the cap. bootleg, but it works, for cheap, and drinks well.

the problem with espresso drinks at home is that true espresso needs pressurized steam, and to generate the correct PSI, safely, it requires either expense or cost cutting. i have been known to go overboard on my caffeine (i know, right? but it's true), but an espresso machine is something i have not had in over a decade for just that reason.

that being said, anyone ever sees a full professional level 4tap espresso deck for cheap on craigslist, lemme know! o)

sofc

I hate E and Chef
Rating - 100%
276   0   0

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
BIG +1 to both the aeropress and french press. actually with those two, you could fake a cappuccino or latte: aero for the brew, then heat up the milk and place in the french press, using the press's wire screen to emulsify the dairy, whipping up a frothy top to the cap. bootleg, but it works, for cheap, and drinks well.

the problem with espresso drinks at home is that true espresso needs pressurized steam, and to generate the correct PSI, safely, it requires either expense or cost cutting. i have been known to go overboard on my caffeine (i know, right? but it's true), but an espresso machine is something i have not had in over a decade for just that reason.

that being said, anyone ever sees a full professional level 4tap espresso deck for cheap on craigslist, lemme know! o)
You are 100% right...I do what you do in your first paragraph and it's about as close to barrista coffee that I can duplicate....side by side and I'd dare anyone to pick which is the cheap one. We like to get a recipe that works for us as our tastes are a little different but when you don't own expensive machinery to make coffee you improvise with what you have...my FP plus steamed milk with a frother can pretty much duplicate anything on the market as far as taste. I use to have a great espresso machine years ago that steamed the milk so easily and that adds great flavor to the overall coffee experience but as I said....duplicating the process and taste takes a little time and effort. I use 1/2 and 1/2 in a cup ( 1/4 cup ) and put it in the microwave for 18 seconds....froth it with a latte frother and let sit for about half a minute...add to my FP coffee and you can't tell the difference between this method and what you'd get from the expensive barristas.

Rating - 100%
32   0   0
If you want to make espresso/cappuccino/latte then you start with espresso. this takes something that has 12-20 bar of pressure. Anyone that says their "press" makes great espresso hasn't had real espresso. Properly ground espresso would clog or pass through a press' screen making it useless. you can believe the marketing hype on the products that claim to do it, but you need a real espresso maker to make it right.

I can't recall the make of mine, but I paid $400 for it about 9 years ago (my wife wouldn't let me buy the one I wanted). Still going strong and have put many pounds of beans through it.

thejavaman

BoM December 2012
Rating - 100%
160   0   0
If you want to make espresso/cappuccino/latte then you start with espresso. this takes something that has 12-20 bar of pressure. Anyone that says their "press" makes great espresso hasn't had real espresso. Properly ground espresso would clog or pass through a press' screen making it useless. you can believe the marketing hype on the products that claim to do it, but you need a real espresso maker to make it right.

I can't recall the make of mine, but I paid $400 for it about 9 years ago (my wife wouldn't let me buy the one I wanted). Still going strong and have put many pounds of beans through it.
This! I love my Aeropress, but it does not make true Italian espresso. A decent, entry level semi-auto espresso machine will set you back around $200:

http://www.wholelattelove.com/Gaggia/espresso_pure.cfm

Expect to pay at least that much for a decent espresso grinder too. The grinder is more important than the machine when making true espresso as well...

Rating - 100%
32   0   0
For the grinder you just need a good adjustable BURR grinder. Not a blade grinder. These can be had from $40 to $500. Get a cheaper one that has replaceable grinder wheel and you'll be set.

bballbaby

Nov '08 BoM
Rating - 100%
183   0   0
John - I'm in the same boat, in that I'm looking for an updrade to the cheap $20 drip coffee maker that I keep buying at Wally-world. THey suck and have too many malfunctions to be wasting $20/lb coffee on. I've started my search here...

http://coffeegeek.com/reviews/drip

Last year about this time I bought the attached grinder and espresso machine and have been very pleased with both.

http://www.amazon.com/Bodum-Bistro-Electric-Coffee-Grinder/dp/B0043095WW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1353681252&sr=8-1&keywords=bodum+coffee+grinder

http://www.amazon.com/DeLonghi-EC155-Espresso-Cappuccino-Maker/dp/B000F49XXG/ref=sr_1_1?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1353681294&sr=1-1&keywords=delonghi+espresso+machine