What's new

New fine cigar tobacco starts here :)

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This year I have reduced both the number of varieties and the total. This year I use seeds from Florida Sumatra, Havana 142, Wisconsin 901, Havana 2000 and Criollo 98. Last year I used seeds from 10 varieties and there is too much to keep track of, next year I will decrease to only two varieties ( at least it's my plan)

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
why not go right to two this year if that's your goal? do you still want the variety for a bit?
I don´t know witch ones to use next year, I want to test these five first. As I grow them in buckets I am curious how the second year turns out (the seeds adapt to the environment they grow in)
For example, the Criollo 98 was really bad this year, a tall plant but with small leaves.

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
I don´t know witch ones to use next year, I want to test these five first. As I grow them in buckets I am curious how the second year turns out (the seeds adapt to the environment they grow in)
For example, the Criollo 98 was really bad this year, a tall plant but with small leaves.
Fair - Im interested in the outcome as I watched last year's progress!

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you're rolling for production quantities and the yield isn't enough for your field size with many varieties, perhaps you end up with a multi year rotation? Grow variety A and B year 1, C and D year 2, E and F year 3 then go back to A and B year 4. By that time the first year's grow should be fermented sufficiently to roll your first cigar. Eventually you would have a reliable pipeline of leaf coming off fermentation ready to roll.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you're rolling for production quantities and the yield isn't enough for your field size with many varieties, perhaps you end up with a multi year rotation? Grow variety A and B year 1, C and D year 2, E and F year 3 then go back to A and B year 4. By that time the first year's grow should be fermented sufficiently to roll your first cigar. Eventually you would have a reliable pipeline of leaf coming off fermentation ready to roll.
Good point, but the worst thing about tobacco growing is waiting. :)
This is my third year as a tobacco grower but it is just now that I start getting the stuff right, sort of.
This year I am keeping the leaf to "rest" at least one year before I start to roll. And also thinking of to do a second fermentation on the wrapper leaf.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any issues with pest insects? I understand they can and do descimate crops where tobacco growing is prevalent. Perhaps your biome doesn't have sufficient tobacco to attract those pests?

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any issues with pest insects? I understand they can and do descimate crops where tobacco growing is prevalent. Perhaps your biome doesn't have sufficient tobacco to attract those pests?
Just snails, but they usually just go on the bottom leaves later in the summer.