What's new

New member,And new to cigars

Thebutcher

testing testing.....is this thing on?
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Greatings BOTL members:
I'm not only new to this forum I am new to cigars.
About 6 months ago my oldest son and I decided to try cigars for the first time,now I have shunned all things Tabaco my whole life (and I am rolling in on 60) mostly do to the fact that I find nothing more smelly and discussing then cigarettes.
A buddy came to our house for the weekend and clued me in to cigars and some of the etiquette involved.so not knowing ANYTHING about cigars I did some research and watched YouTube videos on how to cut,light and so fourth and then found a small smoke shop locally (an hour and a half away)that had a small section of premium cigars,my son and I looked up " cigars for beginners"and read reviews,they had a few on our short list so we bought some and went home to give it a try.
It wasn't what I expected but it didn't suck ether!
So I have smoked about 6 Cigars now and I am just starting to really enjoy some of them....ok I had one today that was vary enjoyable.
So a few questions.
1)They seem to be getting more and more enjoyable,is this normal?? Or was the first stick supposed to be just GREAT and I missed it.
2)Why all the hate for Acid? My first cigar was a Kuba Kuba it was mild and not bad in fact it was pretty good.currently this is my sons go to.
3) second cigar was an Olivia series G it was box pressed and we couldn't get it to draw at all.we cut it ,did I need to punch it?
If any of these questions are dumb or ignorant remember I'm new to this whole thing!!
It has been challenging just learning the terms and cigar names and sizes but I have a good grasp on the basics now and placed my first order to Famos smokes today. Wow a lot cheeper then the local Store.
Well that's my story and I'm sticking to it
Have a good evening

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Welcome! How old is your son? I’m young too I’m 19 I got into cigars with some friends and now I love cigars and really relax with them. I first was a big acid guy and I still like them but there’s just so many options out there to try. You’ll find a flavor you like and you keep chasing it. For me I like the medium full to full stuff and lots of coco and spice. I’ve never had a issue with a box pressed cigar, they do that to make them fit in the box and I believe they burn better ime.

Thebutcher

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My son is 23 and we have started this adventure together,it has been real fun and a relaxing time to have a good cup of coffee and. Cigar and good conversation.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
Welcome from Kentucky. I’m pretty new to all this as well, but I will say that you’ve come to the right place to learn!!! Enjoy the ride as it has been a fun one for me so far!!!

kit_luce

To the ones we can save, and those we can't.
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Welcome from indiana!

Cut, punch, vcut doesnt necessarily matter. Usually a straight cut yields the most open draw, you'll find some cigars are just packed a little tight, sometimes they are a little too humid, etc.

As far as the acid hate. They are infused and most guys prefer just natural non infused cigars.

You made an order to famous, what do you have on the way? Do you have something setup for storage already?

Thebutcher

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First thank you all for the warm welcome.
Yes I have a calibrated and working humidor I took the advise of others and got one larger then I thought I needed,however I think the one I have will be to small soon.
The Olivia wasn't just hard to draw on you would have to be able to suck start a Harley to smoke these things.
What I have coming
I have a sampler of coffee infused, some dark age,and AF Hemingway

kit_luce

To the ones we can save, and those we can't.
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
First thank you all for the warm welcome.
Yes I have a calibrated and working humidor I took the advise of others and got one larger then I thought I needed,however I think the one I have will be to small soon.
The Olivia wasn't just hard to draw on you would have to be able to suck start a Harley to smoke these things.
What I have coming
I have a sampler of coffee infused, some dark age,and AF Hemingway
Make sure you store your infused in a separate container than your regular or it will straight ruin your hemingway's. I'm not familiar with the dark aged, do you have any more specifics on what those are? For your infused I would just grab a tupper and a boveda. Super cheap and easy. Just wash/scrub down with baking soda and water, give it a good wash then you are good to go. Sounds like for those olivas you needed a tool a lot of guys use called a perfecdraw. Basically a long poker that teams a hole down the middle of your cigar to make it more smokeable

Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Welcome from Texas. You have to start your cigar journey somewhere. Its nice that you get to start it with you son.

1)They seem to be getting more and more enjoyable,is this normal?? Or was the first stick supposed to be just GREAT and I missed it.
Its normal. Your first smoke could be great or horrible. Sounds like your experience wasn't horrible. Buy quality over quantity.
2)Why all the hate for Acid? My first cigar was a Kuba Kuba it was mild and not bad in fact it was pretty good.currently this is my sons go to.
Many have started with infused. Acids, Javas and Nub Cafe line are the go to ones. Coffee and cigars go together which is probably why the java and nub cafe line are good. Never tried Acid smokes. I did not like the aroma. Java was my gateway cigar. I will still smoke one with my BIL. He only smokes a few times a year and likes the javas. As you get more into cigars you will probably move away from the infused. Infused are great for the occasional smoker but as you develop your tastes for cigars and smoke more regularly you will probably get tired of smoking the same flavor over and over. Getting into the non infused side of cigars opens you up to more natural flavors from wide selection of brands. Acids are acids. Same flavor every time. If Acids are what you like , then smoke them. Its about what you like.
3) second cigar was an Olivia series G it was box pressed and we couldn't get it to draw at all.we cut it ,did I need to punch it?
Sounds like the RH was high. Get the perfectdraw for tight draws smokes. Letting your smokes acclimate to your desired RH will usually make the draw better.

Rating - 100%
68   0   0
Welcome from New Jersey. Seems like you have a fun journey ahead. I love me a Fuente!! Should give you a totally contrasting moves from the acids. Good to see both sides of the spectrum so you can figure where you wanna go.

bwhite220

Brandon | BotM Jan 2038
Rating - 100%
91   0   0
First of all, welcome to the family, @Thebutcher. I love that you've done a bit of research already and are looking to find more information via this forum. You found the right place!

Your questions in this thread have already been answered (in my opinion, correctly) by @csk415 and @kit_luce so I won't add anything else. However, any questions you have, feel free to ask away on the boards or Private Message any one of us and we'll do everything we can to steer you in the right direction.

Welcome from Northwest Arkansas!

Thebutcher

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure you store your infused in a separate container than your regular or it will straight ruin your hemingway's. I'm not familiar with the dark aged, do you have any more specifics on what those are? For your infused I would just grab a tupper and a boveda. Super cheap and easy. Just wash/scrub down with baking soda and water, give it a good wash then you are good to go. Sounds like for those olivas you needed a tool a lot of guys use called a perfecdraw. Basically a long poker that teams a hole down the middle of your cigar to make it more smokeable
Thanks for the tip, I just may wind up buying a larger humidor and keep one just for infused cigars.

Thebutcher

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First of all, welcome to the family, @Thebutcher. I love that you've done a bit of research already and are looking to find more information via this forum. You found the right place!

Your questions in this thread have already been answered (in my opinion, correctly) by @csk415 and @kit_luce so I won't add anything else. However, any questions you have, feel free to ask away on the boards or Private Message any one of us and we'll do everything we can to steer you in the right direction.

Welcome from Northwest Arkansas!
It sure seems like I landed in the right spot
I was here for about 15 seconds and started getting great information. This is a hobby I want to pass on to my sons,the art of manliness can't die with this generation it was a right of passage for a child to smoke cigars with his father and his fathers friends,
I see that now and understand.