What's new

New Orleans Bourbon Festival March 8, 9, 10

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Wife and I decided to do this at the last minute. I'm able to get just the Friday and Saturday seminars and tasting seminars for $120 each. Some of the seminars I plan to attend are

Uncut Bourbon Full Proof Delights
The Six Sources of Flavor
Rum vs Whiskey the Battle for American Dominance
The Common Sense of Scents (nosing with Glencairn)
Barrel Strength Bourbon high proof sampling
Balance and Counterbalance bourbon and food pairings
Bourbon and Cigar pairing in the cigar lounge

There are a couple of grand tastings and Bourbon dinners available with different levels of ticket. If we have a good time with the seminars we'll probably blow the vacation budget next year and get a room for the weekend and do the entire festival.

May want to check this out for future plans, I'll post up after the events.

Rating - 100%
62   0   0
Wife and I decided to do this at the last minute. I'm able to get just the Friday and Saturday seminars and tasting seminars for $120 each. Some of the seminars I plan to attend are

Uncut Bourbon Full Proof Delights
The Six Sources of Flavor
Rum vs Whiskey the Battle for American Dominance
The Common Sense of Scents (nosing with Glencairn)
Barrel Strength Bourbon high proof sampling
Balance and Counterbalance bourbon and food pairings
Bourbon and Cigar pairing in the cigar lounge

There are a couple of grand tastings and Bourbon dinners available with different levels of ticket. If we have a good time with the seminars we'll probably blow the vacation budget next year and get a room for the weekend and do the entire festival.

May want to check this out for future plans, I'll post up after the events.
This sounds awesome! Definitely let us know how it goes.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
This was a really great event.
We only attended the seminars but there was lots of tasting and comparing. Had to go have dinner before driving home to clear the brain a bit. Next year we will get a hotel room and attend the evening tastings. From the people I spoke with the two evening tastings had more bourbons available then you could try even when asking for 1/2 size samples

I got to taste some new to me Cask strength bourbons, a couple of unique Ryes, and small batch bourbons. Identify where the flavors of a bourbon come from and how mash bill, location in the warehouse, maturation, proof, texture and blending are used by distillers to build the flavors of the bourbon.

The sensing classes taught us how to enjoy and discern the aromas and taste of several different bourbons. the food pairing showed how different whiskeys can be experienced with different foods to show balanced, counterbalanced and "explosive" combinations.

During the cigar and bourbon pairing we learned that not all bourbons pair well with cigars and she suggested that full bodied cigars are better paired with sweet, floral bourbons, ryes or rum. How the combination of cigar and bourbon changes over the smoke was remarkable. We where taught what to look for to appreciate the pairing. We paired a wheated bourbon, a floral bourbon and a rye with an All Out Kings Smash.

I attended a couple "history of classes" connecting Kentucky to New Orleans and how bourbon and rum helped shape American culture.

My wife attended a class on how to make varietals, bitters, and shrubs so I know what our friends will be getting for Christmas.

All in all the people attending and teaching the bourbon event where a lot like the people that you meet in a cigar lounge, friendly and accommodating. We made some new friends and met a lot of interesting people. Fascinating event and we are already looking forward to next year.