What's new

New Pipe Smoker!

jmatkins

BoM January 08
Rating - 99%
159   1   0
OK I got a Pipe Bomb for Christmas and had my first smoke today. And I am going to have alot of questions coming over the next few weeks.

1 Do you pack the bowl very full or loose?
2 How long do you get out of a bowl (Smoking time)
3 And when do you know when you have gooten all you are going to get out of your bowl

Thanks,

John

sgresso

Long hair Dork
Rating - 100%
54   0   0
Feel free to pm me and I can help ya out. it would also be easier to walk ya thru it by telephone so I will pm my cell. Welcome to the pipe smoking world.

Soundwave13

BoM Feb 2010
Rating - 100%
143   0   0
1. Neither, pack it firmly, but it should still pull easier than a loose draw on a cigar.
2. 25-45 depending on size, pack and patience.
3. Smoke it until it no longer tastes good. (I usually leave a little bit at the end so I don't suck embers into my mouth.)

It requires a different approach than a cigar - sip, don't gulp, if you start to get a stinging sensation on the tongue, slow down... Mostly, enjoy!

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Packing is the biggest problems for new pipers.

The old saying was in packing a pipe was "Tamp the bottom layer like a woman, the middle layer like a boy and the top layer like a man". You'll know when you get it right as it will only take and tamp now and then to smoke the entire bowl.

Pipes are like cigars, you'll find small bowl pipes that give you a quick 10 to 15minute smoke and big ones that you can puff on for an hour!

SkinsFanLarry

Craft Beer Addict!
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
You always want to fill the bowl all the way up, you want to develop the cake throughout the entire bowl.

How you pack it, loose or tight, depends on the type of tobacco - drier can be packed firmer, wetter should be packed looser.

Pipe Smoking Guide

Rating - 100%
206   0   0
OK I got a Pipe Bomb for Christmas and had my first smoke today. And I am going to have alot of questions coming over the next few weeks.

1 Do you pack the bowl very full or loose?
2 How long do you get out of a bowl (Smoking time)
3 And when do you know when you have gotten all you are going to get out of your bowl

Thanks,

John
Some quick notes ...

1. Pack somewhat firmly, but don't overdo it. You can tell by how well you can draw air through the pipe. I'm sure you're used to plugged cigars and how poorly they draw ... but in this case you can always dump out the tobacco and start over.

2. It depends on the size of the pipe bowl and how full you pack. The beauty of pipe is you can put enough in the bowl for a quick 10 min smoke ... or fill it to the brim for an hour or more.

3. It's very similar to cigars ... when the smoke or pipe becomes very hot, the smoke volume starts really falling off, or when the flavors begin tasting ashen ... it's time to quit.

Just remember to take it slow. Over time you will develop good packing + smoking techniques.

Good luck!

DSturg369

Pipe Smokin' Country Boy
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the Pipe Side John!

Great info given so far and looks like your questions have been answered and then some.

There's more great info here... [ame="http://www.botl.org/community/forums/showthread.php?t=715"]Getting started with pipes. - BOTL Cigar Forums - Brothers of the Leaf[/ame]