What's new

New pistol shooter

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
My 9 year old decided this morning she is ready to try her hand at pistol shooting...

I bought her a little .22 cricket single shot rifle when she was 5... She's done well with it and is more than ready to "graduate"...

So I took her to Buds today... And let her pick this out...

Next few weeks are going to be fun!

Rating - 100%
103   0   0
Outstanding! :)

(And I'll try not to be too jealous that you're within such a proximity to Bud's.)

Rating - 100%
21   0   0
Looks like a blast. No children but my wife will occasionally go with me and make me look terrible. I do not know why, she barely shoots, her form is crap and yet constantly out shoots me.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Awesome gun. My kid has a walther p22. Basically same gun minor variations (theyre all made by umarex) we go the ojtdoor range and shell kill 500 rds in an afternoon. Mine is 15 now I want to start transitioning her to my 38 or my 9mm and I cant get her over her fear, so i just let it lie for a while

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
Ruger got that one right.
Ruger has been getting a lot of my money lately...

In Feb the wife wanted a pocket rocket for her valentines present (wanted a pistol she could go running/jogging/exercise with)... we looked at offerings from s&W, glock, kahr, keltec, sig, and ruger.. and ended up walking away with a matching pair of LCP's (sorta matching.. mine is the standard "black".. she got one with a pink frame)..

In July the wife decided she wanted to step up to a larger caliber deer/hunting rifle.. she has been shooting a .243 for years.. but had a hard time dropping a large boar a while back, and wanted something with a little more stopping power behind it.. I also wanted something in the "mid" range for myself in a centerfire.. all of my hunting rifles are either relatively small caliber (.243, 6mm REM, etc..).. or on the high side of "ouch.. that hurts"... (7mm WSM.. .45-70.. etc..)..

We ended up picking up matching Ruger Americans in .308 after looking at the entire field of basic hunting rifles.. played with recent offerings from savage, marlin, mossberg, wetherby, and ruger.. (the R A's arent pretty.. but you get a whole lot of gun for the money with that line.. really impressed with the performance of both rifles so far..)...

and then Saturday.. when the daughter decided she was ready to try her hand at pistols.... we looked at several .22 options.. checked out options from Walther, Sig, S&W, Browning, and Ruger.. she went for the Ruger (we had actually already identified the Ruger as the "perfect" 1st pistol for her as far back as the NRA convention when the wife and I first did a side by side comparison of it against the walther... but.. I wanted the daughter to feel like she was part of the decision making process... check out several options.. get a chance to put them all in her hands.. etc... I just may have nudged her a bit along the way toward what I thought was best... :) )..

Considering that prior to Feb of this year.. I had only owned 1 other ruger in my life (I've probably bought and sold 200+ firearms in my lifetime).. a little .22 single action bearcat revolver that I bought for my son 17+ years ago).. thats quite a change... theyve come a long way in the last 20 years (IMO).. Ive always liked their revolvers (both SA and DA).. but never cared for much of anything else they have made before now...

These days.. Im pretty impressed..

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
Mine is 15 now I want to start transitioning her to my 38 or my 9mm and I cant get her over her fear, so i just let it lie for a while
That can be a slow process.... you are taking the right approach... just nudge her a little here and there.. but let her tell you when she is ready..

Had to do the same thing with my son.. he has been shooting .22's since he was old enough to recite "the rules" (I made him memorize the basic cooper "4 firearms safety rules" at 4.. once he could recite them and tell me what they meant.. he was allowed to shoot)... had probably 8000 rounds under his belt by the time he was 10 between his rifle, pistol, and shotgun (.22 cricket, .22 bearcat, and .410 H&R single shot).. but was still uncomfortable about shooting a centerfire rifle..

My solution... I built him a little youth sized .44 mag carbine... we initially loaded it up with light load .44 specials.. which had less recoil and made less noise than his .410... and let him shoot it on 2 or 3 range trips... and let him get comfortable with it... then, when he was ready.. we loaded it with .44 mag.... making the transition was easy...

a bit more recoil.. and a whole lot more noise.. but.. he was already used to the platform.. wasnt scared of it.. etc.. he was tagging the bullseye at 50 yards within 10 minutes.. and that little carbine became his first "deer" rifle.. that he carried religiously for the next 5 years until we stepped him up to a .243 (more than enough gun for the little, sorry excuse for white tail deer we have around here..)..

Rating - 100%
72   0   0
Very nice! I learned to shoot with a ruger 10/22 when I was 8 ( still have it! ) and learned to use a hand gun with my dad's Dan Wesson 357 mag revolver, using light 38 special rounds( I managed to get it from him a few years ago). I have 2 ruger mark iii that I love! I shoot at least once a week with the handguns, my current main is a glock 17. You doing a great job Dave!!!!