What's new

New pup...

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
OK folks...the wife and I are starting to think about our next dog. He'll be our first puppy. So far we are wavering between a Vizsla or Weimaraner. Anyone have experience with either?

Wasch_24

2005 BoY
Rating - 100%
196   0   0
Well, I am quite fond of my wife's vizsla and she really enjoys my weimeraner.

These are German words for pieces of human anatomy right? :hysterica.

Poni

BoM Oct 05
Rating - 100%
55   0   0
LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

I've seen a lot of weimeraner, what type of dog are you looking for?

personality? energy?

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
J,

Depending on how active a dog you want and if you have a yard etc. might I suggest a Doberman. I may be biased because I have a dobe, but they are just wonderful loving dogs. I have had mine since 8 wks and she is wonderful around kids..but very protective.

Aside from that, my friend had a Weimeramer and it was a very cool dog...when it wasnt eating their shoes.

Moglman

Mountain Hound
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
Both excellent choices JW. Both are highly energetic, willful and loving from my experience (owned by friends, not myself). I would only suggest the Weimaraner if you have lots of outdoor room for it to play and run, and can devote a lot of time to training. The Vizsla's owned by friends on the left coast are also stubborn but great with kids, and smart as a whip. Their size is more appropriate to suburban living, but still need a ton of exercise and play. I myself thought about a Vizsla as a bird dog, but the short hair doesn't protect enough in cold Colorado winters. Good luck. Can't wait to hear your choice.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My ex had a Vizsla. It was one of the greatest dogs I have ever known. Of course, judging a breed by own animal is an easy way to make bad decisions (pit bull bans, anyone?) VERY high energy, which was good, as they were a very active family. Also very very smart, and once trained (which wasn't easy) he was a great family dog, good with kids and cats. The W's I've known have been similar, perhaps SLIGHTLY less energy, but very "high-key." Most people I know tend to love the personality of the W's.
Both are great breeeds, but both ABSOLUTELY require good, strong, solid training to be the best and happiest (and safest) dogs.
Good luck, and have fun with the new pup....post pics!

Oh, btw, this is my first post here....hi everybody.

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Thanks for the info all. A, I'm sure Dobe's are great dogs, they just don't "do it" for me. Nothing against them, just not what I'm looking for.

If anyone knows someone who currently owns either and they would be interested in offering advice or thoughts, I'd be happy to hear them as well. Feel free to PM me and I'll get you my email addy.

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Oh no. Definately have to rule them out then Mark...can't have the pup hornin' in on my smokes! :wink:

Hmmm...I think have read that they don't shed alot, but that's really not a concern for us. Our last dog was a Chow. You don't get much more shed than that, lol. Quiet? Haven't really seen that. They aren't yappy dogs by any means, but they have tons of energy and aren't adverse to barking...

GuyMcBeerdrinker

poonsmith
Rating - 90%
20   2   1
I don't have time to get into it in full detail. but I would seriously discourage you from getting a weimaraner. I was around 5 different ones in college, albeit some of these people had no business owning ANY dogs must less this breed in general. they are just about the damnest cutest puppy out there, but puppies grow up fast and spend the greater part of their dogs as adults. some of the things I observed:

the are bigger than most people think
super energetic
aggressive (mostly due to poor socialization)
sunburn easy, so you can't leave them out during the day
large ears get filthy

I have horror stories. from one bolting out of a car that was rear-ended and never to be found. another that tore down EVERY blind in an apartment, same dog ate the corner of every kitchen cabinet. another destroyed a sofa during a thunderstorm. these dogs do not handle solitude well.

get a viszla. they are super clean dogs, smart, medium sized and more manageable. all of the ones I have met have been absolute sweethearts.

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Alot of that sounds like problems with how they were raised. We don't keep our dogs outside and the large ears thing isn't a problem.

However, I'm really not leaning either way as of yet so at least I got a Yes vote from you on one of them! :)

GuyMcBeerdrinker

poonsmith
Rating - 90%
20   2   1
trust me, as a dog owner I understand that most of the problems stem from poor socialization and shitty owners. but some breeds are more prone to behavioral, violence problems than others. I've just seen too many wacked out weimaraners. I wouldn't get one unless I was committed to devoting a lot of time to raise them right. and by raising them right I mean bird training (that's what they were bred to do), taking them to just about any place you can, giving them lots of room to run in.

I have a black lab which I got my junior year of college. there is no way I could have raised him the way I did doing what I do now. I took my dog EVERYWHERE and didn't leave him home alone much. he's a super dog now, but I doubt I'd get the same results. labrador or no.

also, if you don't want to deal with the growing pains of raising a pup you might contact a nearby viszla or weimaraner rescue group. you might find a fine dog that is looking for a loving home.

Poni

BoM Oct 05
Rating - 100%
55   0   0
N2Advnture said:
Did I mention they like Cohibas?

I would go with one of these guys..... ;)

Joking aside they are generally a great breed, known as the "clowns" of dogs. Great with people and especially children.

www.boxerrescue.com if your thinking of adopting.

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
I hear ya Guy. And yeah, I hear ya Mark and Ashy, but just not lookin' for the boxer right now.

It's probably 75% gonna be a Vizsla right now. We go out tomorrow to get some one on one with them. We would normally do the rescue but I really want to do the puppy thing (haven't been able to enjoy the last couple of dogs as pups) and we need to socialize whatever we get early so that it understands the wife's Cockatoo isn't a meal...as much as I might want to encourage that instinct...:wink: