What's new

New to tea nees little advice

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
So iv started drinking a lot of tea again. Mostly cause iv been trying to cut back on drinking other beverages. Iv always just been a tea bag kinda guy :cautious:. But I'd like to try some loose leaf stuff, as if heard it's better.

Iv read a few guides on some dos and donts on equipment but there are a lot of options. I'm on a budget so not a lot of cash to spend on it, mostly cause my excess budget goes to cigars...I suppose I could make room for tea.

So any advice on what to get? I'd hate to buy something I don't need or something I'll never end up using later.

Also on loose leaf are there anything's to avoid, certain brands ect.. I like a lot of flavors but prefer something bold that doesn't need any kinda help, as I don't like adding sugar or cream to stuff if possible. Fruity flavors I tend to like more especially lemon and raspberry. Any advice on flavors or brands to try would be nice.

Thanks guys

Rating - 100%
25   0   0
Teavana is a great place to help with all your tea needs. They have some great mixes and show the benefits of drinking each. I'm a huge Oolong fan and they have a couple that are just outstanding. They also have a perfect tea maker for like $20 and if i'm not mistaken you can get some sample teas with it too. Check out their website. www.teavana.com

Rating - 100%
47   0   0
On the coffee and tea sub-forum there is a bunch of tea suggestion threads already going I would copy and paste them for you but I'm on pootalk

But you don't even need to search because if you just scroll down there's like 4 right there.

Enjoy on the tea ;)

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
On the coffee and tea sub-forum there is a bunch of tea suggestion threads already going I would copy and paste them for you but I'm on pootalk
ya sorry the tea advice was more of an after thought while writting. I'll definitely read through them. Was more just looking for getting started advice.
Thanks @TraderCigarCo. I'll look into the teavana stuff. I think they actually have a store not to far from where my wife works. Plus it's by a wine shop with cigars;)

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So iv started drinking a lot of tea again. Mostly cause iv been trying to cut back on drinking other beverages. Iv always just been a tea bag kinda guy :cautious:. But I'd like to try some loose leaf stuff, as if heard it's better.

Iv read a few guides on some dos and donts on equipment but there are a lot of options. I'm on a budget so not a lot of cash to spend on it, mostly cause my excess budget goes to cigars...I suppose I could make room for tea.

So any advice on what to get? I'd hate to buy something I don't need or something I'll never end up using later.

Also on loose leaf are there anything's to avoid, certain brands ect.. I like a lot of flavors but prefer something bold that doesn't need any kinda help, as I don't like adding sugar or cream to stuff if possible. Fruity flavors I tend to like more especially lemon and raspberry. Any advice on flavors or brands to try would be nice.

Thanks guys
Equipment?

All you need is a mug, and a tea strainer.

Well, an electric kettle helps (if you plan to drink lots of tea), and maybe get a water softener / filter / de-scaler, to keep the minerals out of the water you use for boiling. And a timer.

Go with some Earl Grey, that's pretty straight forward and flavourful, or an English Breakfast blend. On the green side, try some jasmine scented green tea.

With the black tea, use boiling water and a hot mug (pour in boiling water - no tea - then put it back in the kettle after a minute), with the green tea bring the water to boil, then wait a short while before pouring. Save the tea after steeping, use again.

It's easier than cigars, anyhow.

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Teavana does have great selection but they get expensive pretty quickly. As was mentioned Earl Grey is great stuff. Barry's is my go to, it's a black irish tea good plain or with milk and sugar.

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Thanks guys. Still haven't gotten a tea pot yet, wife wants to get me one for Christmas. Did stop into a local teavana, man their tea tasted amazing. I could see spending a lot of money on tea.

Question does anyone have a preference on material for tea pot. Saw a few different makes is there one that is better? They seemed to very in price quit a bit.

TommyZ

Retired VCR Salesman
Rating - 100%
36   0   0
I usually just put a normal pot of water on the stove and let it start to boil a little. Once it does it carefully pour it into my infuser and let it steep. Be careful because once the water hits the cold part of the pot, it'll start splashing a bit. If you want I can send you some samples of the tea I drink the most. PM me.

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Question does anyone have a preference on material for tea pot. Saw a few different makes is there one that is better? They seemed to very in price quit a bit.
mine are all porcelain. Never tried one of the metal ones always thought it would give it a metallic taste but never actually tried it

TommyZ

Retired VCR Salesman
Rating - 100%
36   0   0
mine are all porcelain. Never tried one of the metal ones always thought it would give it a metallic taste but never actually tried it
I have used a stainless steel one at my girlfriends and there's no altered taste.

TommyZ

Retired VCR Salesman
Rating - 100%
36   0   0
If you can find one of these infusers, I really do think they're worth every penny. 41ExOnEAcUL._SY355_.jpg,

TommyZ

Retired VCR Salesman
Rating - 100%
36   0   0
Had one like that at one point, but one cup at a time wasn't doing it for me.
It's perfect for me since 90% of the time I'm grabbing for tea while I'm running out of the house to class. One cup with minimal clean up is perfect.

Nacho Daddy

Irrepressibly Irreverent Inveterate Ignominy
Rating - 100%
121   0   0
I drink Puerh tea,lots of character,economical,easy.
Puerh can be steeped multiple times,a little goes a long way.
I use a gaiwan and a hand held strainer.You could just use a coffee cup and strainer,or a Bodum.Be sure to look for "SHU" (cooked) not "SHENG" (raw).
You may even find aged Puerh,I have some '73 and some '92,'98 and '03.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wife recently got me into tea. We get ours from David's Tea. I like their Coffee Puerh the most. But also like Cold 911, The Detox, David's Breakfast, Earl Grey, English Breakfast, Espresso Yourself, Golden Puerh, Hot Chocolate, Jumpy Monkey, and The Skinny (which I find helps with my belly issues).
Since I've started drinking Tea I find myself drinking Coffee less and less.