What's new

New too pipes

OleVaSmoker

Leafman
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, greetings everyone!
As a 20 some odd year cigar smoker and almost a year of no cigarette smoking I have decided to dip my toe into pipe smoking. I have spent almost a month reading learning and finally pulled the trigger on my first pipe, a MM cob pipe and a little sutliff tobacco to try which should arrive in a couple days.
I very much so enjoy the reviews and insight found here and elsewhere. Like many new pipe smokers would love some advice on what brands/blends anyone would recommend and also any helpful tips.
Not sure if it helps but my cigar tastes range from Fuentes to Padron maduros to Rocky Patel vintage cigars. I like lots of flavor and appreciate a good smopthness. If that makes any sense.
Thanks in advance and I hope I posted this in the correct place,
Josh

MrZ

Rating - 100%
151   0   0
There are a bunch of threads about Pipe Smoking along with you tube channels. My advice would be first don't get frustrated if you have a lot of relights or the packing of the pipe doesn't seem right all the time. It takes practice and time. Second always make sure the tobacco is dry. If it is wet you will never keep it lit and it will be a goopy mess. Third, most of the time if it smells like a candy bar/fruit bar. Stay away. Stay far away

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Oh hey, you've got an interesting journey ahead of you. (y)
One of my younger brothers decided to give pipe smoking a try about 18 months ago or so. I guess he had already tried a few aromatics (glopers) and wasn't exactly digging it, so he asked for my advice.
So I sent him out a care package consisting of a new MM Twain, a bottle of biotene, some pipe cleaners and a tin each of Escudo, Dunhill DeLuxe Navy Rolls, Dunhill Flake and some aged (3 years) Stokkebye Luxury Bullseye flake.
He's since thrown out the aro's and seems to like virginia based stuff.
What you'll end up liking no one knows. But enjoy! :)

OleVaSmoker

Leafman
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My only advice is take your time. Don't go out and buy 5 expensive pipes. Buy 3 cobs and 3 types of tabacco to narrow down what you like. Don't throw anything away your taste will change. Have fun. Remember it's a hobby
Most definitely starting with cobs. I like the cost effectiveness and ability to try new things cheaply.

Rating - 100%
40   0   0
I found that the 3-step method most often cited as the easiest for packing, wasn't. I fiddled with that for a while & never really got a true burn. The Frank/German Method (there's quite a few YT vids demonstrating this) works much better for me, especially with ribbons. For the rougher, coarser cuts, simply gravity fill & tamp it lightly. Also make sure you give most blends 15-20 mins to dry out first as part of your prep.

As with anything new, it just takes a little practice.

Enjoy!

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've been interested in those hardwood meerschaums. They seem to have a little more appeal than the cobs but without the briar price. Let me know what you think after a few bowls. Also, understand that many pipe tobaccos won't quite compare to the hefty, thick, and satisfying smoke of cigars. This is not a flaw of pipe tobacco, just not the same in many ways. So listen to your palette and choose a smoke that fits your desire in that moment in time. Also, check out pipe tobacco blends with cigar leaf. GL Pease Key Largo, Cornell and Diehl billy budd are a couple well known ones.

OleVaSmoker

Leafman
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been interested in those hardwood meerschaums. They seem to have a little more appeal than the cobs but without the briar price. Let me know what you think after a few bowls. Also, understand that many pipe tobaccos won't quite compare to the hefty, thick, and satisfying smoke of cigars. This is not a flaw of pipe tobacco, just not the same in many ways. So listen to your palette and choose a smoke that fits your desire in that moment in time. Also, check out pipe tobacco blends with cigar leaf. GL Pease Key Largo, Cornell and Diehl billy budd are a couple well known ones.

I'm new to pipes but have already ordered another of the MM ozark pipes. Lightweight and looks good too. My first pipe was a MM cob and I like it just as well I wanted another ozark to make a trio and test some tobaccos to find what tickles my fancy and not destroy a good pipe in the process.
These seem to be well made and have a varnish like smell at first but after the second and third bowls that smell has disappeared. I would recommend them to anyone looking for a cheap pipe on the go or to try new stuff like I am doing as they seem to do the job pretty well.