What's new

"New" - used humi I found!

Old Soldier

What's brown and sounds like a bell? DUNG!
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Went looking for another smaller humidor the other day to store my Cubans apart from my domestics. No particular reason except that I needed a little extra room while I decide on what my custom built humi will end up being.
I found a lightly used Savoy (25-30 count) Bubinga box on eBay and bid $45 maximum on it. Ended up winning it for $35 (the minimum). Not a bad deal I don't think!
IMG_9537.JPG IMG_9539.JPG IMG_9538.JPG
Going to have a custom humi built by a top notch carpenter friend of mine here locally. It will be in the style of the "Ammodor" humidors and built using an 81mm Mortar Round Crate. (I was an 11C Infantry Mortar Gunner in the Arkansas National Guard so it will be very fitting I think!) Should be big enough to store several boxes and have a tray for singles as well. Will incorporate Boveda mounts for their 320g packs and a Xikar Humifan. I want it to be set up for aging while also being a conversation piece.

Old Soldier

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank ya!! Going to clean it up a bit and then throw the 85% Boveda packs in there to get it seasoned good. Will update as soon as I see how it acts.
Got to get a Hygrometer for it but I have my Kestrel 3500NV anemometer that's extremely accurate, it helps SO MUCH with dialing in and calibrating a hygrometer.

Rating - 100%
42   0   0
Thank ya!! Going to clean it up a bit and then throw the 85% Boveda packs in there to get it seasoned good. Will update as soon as I see how it acts.
Got to get a Hygrometer for it but I have my Kestrel 3500NV anemometer that's extremely accurate, it helps SO MUCH with dialing in and calibrating a hygrometer.
A common mistake out there with guys that "seasoned" / wiped down new humis with distilled that were actually "at point" in the first place.
Then we're advising them to leave it open a few days to air out because they can't figure why they are at 85% rh. I'm sure I'm not the only guy that's seen this.
I know this ain't you.... I don't see it too much of this here. But on my "previous" site it was remarkable how many noobs would season/drown a humidor as soon as it came in the door before they even determine if it needed seasoning in the first place.

Old Soldier

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A common mistake out there with guys that "seasoned" / wiped down new humis with distilled that were actually "at point" in the first place.
Then we're advising them to leave it open a few days to air out because they can't figure why they are at 85% rh. I'm sure I'm not the only guy that's seen this.
I know this ain't you.... I don't see it too much of this here. But on my "previous" site it was remarkable how many noobs would season/drown a humidor as soon as it came in the door before they even determine if it needed seasoning in the first place.
Sage advice Bro! Thanks! Once I found Boveda packs I was sold...so easy to do and hassle free!

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Went looking for another smaller humidor the other day to store my Cubans apart from my domestics. No particular reason except that I needed a little extra room while I decide on what my custom built humi will end up being.
I found a lightly used Savoy (25-30 count) Bubinga box on eBay and bid $45 maximum on it. Ended up winning it for $35 (the minimum). Not a bad deal I don't think!
View attachment 97781 View attachment 97782 View attachment 97784
Going to have a custom humi built by a top notch carpenter friend of mine here locally. It will be in the style of the "Ammodor" humidors and built using an 81mm Mortar Round Crate. (I was an 11C Infantry Mortar Gunner in the Arkansas National Guard so it will be very fitting I think!) Should be big enough to store several boxes and have a tray for singles as well. Will incorporate Boveda mounts for their 320g packs and a Xikar Humifan. I want it to be set up for aging while also being a conversation piece.
I always used to say that if God didn't love 11Cs he wouldn't have invented the mortar.

Old Soldier

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I googled mortar crate humidor . Pretty cool. Yeah, let's see that project when it's done !
I'm looking for the perfect crate right now... We used to have a small Army/Navy store that was fairly close and the old lady that ran it had some from WWII and Korea. I was not forward thinking enough to have grabbed one up back then. The PERFECT one would be for Willy Pete rounds! One company makes
humi's out of all kinds of military ammo and storage crates....they even have one that uses old FIM-92 (Stinger Missile) crates, but they're prohibitively expensive. HOWEVER, your sticks would be as safe and sealed as any humidor could EVER be! :cigar:

Old Soldier

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got it in the mail this AM and it looks good! Can tell it's been used very little, VERY MINOR little scrapes/scuffs in the glossy hardcoat finish....but nothing you notice unless you're inspecting it in the light. Whoever had it took excellent care of it for sure...doesn't even smell like cigars. It is DRY as hell too... < 53% r.h.... so in go the Boveda 84% packs to season it. Should be ready before we go to the Bahamas!