What's new

New used humidor

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
20171211_132203.jpg 20171211_132220.jpg So I just bought a used 100 stick ( I think) humidor. Made an offer and the gentleman accepted it. Looked to be in good condition so bought it. Got it home and upon closer inspection I found mold on the sponge type material. Well I did a quick search and found I could wipe it down with alcohol then season and it should be fine. I removed the boxes holding the material in the lid and plan on us the boveda packs.
Is there any other precautions I should take? Anything else I can watch For?
I found no mold in the humidor it's self.
It sure beats my 20 ct humidor.
Thanks

Last edited:

btubes18

The Thing
Rating - 100%
149   0   0
View attachment 105706 View attachment 105707 So I just bought a used 100 stick ( I think) humidor. Made an offer and the gentleman accepted it. Looked to be in good condition so bought it. Got it home and upon closer inspection I found mold on the sponge type material. Well I did a quick search and found I could wipe it down with alcohol then season and it should be fine. I removed the boxes holding the material in the lid and plan on us the boveda packs.
Is there any other precautions I should take? Anything else I can watch For?
I found no mold in the humidor it's self.
It sure beats my 20 ct humidor.
Thanks
I had this exact humidor when I started out. Good little box and worked well until I out grew it....Nice score!

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Honestly you should season it for 14 days with either 84% Boveda's, (1) per 25 Capacity. Or just put a Large Plastic Container with Distilled Water in the Humidor for 14 Days. After you shut the lid, NO Peek A Boo, leave it Closed 14 days.

If the Humidor needed seasoning the Distilled Water will be Gone, or the Boveda will be Brick Hard.

Good luck.

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
I'd wipe all the wood down with peroxide, rather than alcohol. Let it air out a bit. Then season with a small bowl of distilled water, and use boveda for maintaining. Nice box man!

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Thanks for the input.
I wiped it down last night and let it air out. Just placed a bowl of distilled water in it and locked it closed.
When he said yes to 20$ so quick I should have figured something was wrong with it.

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
After two weeks put it in the bathroom, with a flashlight on inside the Humidor, close the door, turn off lights, and see if it leeks light. Hope it seals like a good Casket, than you will know if it is season, and seals.

Your photo say used, but apprently not abused. (y)

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Well it's ready been holding steady at 65% 69 f
Light test showed no leaks. So in goes the sticks.
I had set up a small coolerdor to hold my sticks while I set up the humidor, but soon realized I was in trouble for storage space. So now I have a tupperdor...lol
Thanks for the help