What's new

New 'wineador' style humidor issues -

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As someone who only ever has around 100 or so cigars in the house at any one time, I recently took delivery of this unit, to replace 2 old wood humidors I have had for years:

Cleaned it out with the bicarb of soda and newspaper trick which removed the plastic smell, all was going well. Seasoned the shelving with distilled water, chucked in a couple of the 320g big 84 degree Boveda packs and left for a few days. The humidity inside is around 75, exactly 5 degrees above where I want it for introduction of cigars.

The issue? The temperature inside, despite setting the unit at 20 degrees celsius (68F) on the buttons at the top, wll not go below 28 degrees C (82f). Clearly I do not want to start introducing cigars while it's this warm. The inside temp in my apartment right now is around 24C. I have a Cigar Oasis Caliber 4Rin there, and the lowest the temperature inside the unit has got is 80 degrees F.

Is this just an issue because the wood is still seasoning? I did try putting an ince pack inside just to test the thermostat on the unit wasn't broken, and sure enough within 5 minutes of placing it on the bottom of the unit the temperature dropped down from 28 to 22.

I can hear the cooler/heater unit is on and working so I'm kind of at a loss. Any help, hints and tips appreciated.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
These things are normally good for about 10 degree difference from ambient. I put a small fan to move the warm air away from the back of the unit and it helped tremendously

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These things are normally good for about 10 degree difference from ambient. I put a small fan to move the warm air away from the back of the unit and it helped tremendously
That was my first thought, I'm going to try putting some very cheap sticks in, and a couple of empty boxes and see what happens. I believe the temp reading on the Caliber 4R, so I'll trust that over the digital readout any day. Just can't help thinking I may have spent a lot on a cool looking, but at the end of the day expensive sealed box.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
My house is normally about 80 F I run the cooler at 64, the temp inside the unit stay around 67. Also if you are running additional fans in the unit they will put off a bit of heat. I think anything below 71 F is fine but cooler is better. If you put your hand over the vents the air coming off the plate should be pretty warm, you have to move that air out and way from the unit. Good luck, I understand 72 or 73 is potential mold territory depending on your humidity inside the unit. Did I read that you are using 84Rh bovedas? if so do not put your cigars in at this temp.

Rating - 100%
59   0   0
As someone who only ever has around 100 or so cigars in the house at any one time, I recently took delivery of this unit, to replace 2 old wood humidors I have had for years:

Cleaned it out with the bicarb of soda and newspaper trick which removed the plastic smell, all was going well. Seasoned the shelving with distilled water, chucked in a couple of the 320g big 84 degree Boveda packs and left for a few days. The humidity inside is around 75, exactly 5 degrees above where I want it for introduction of cigars.

The issue? The temperature inside, despite setting the unit at 20 degrees celsius (68F) on the buttons at the top, wll not go below 28 degrees C (82f). Clearly I do not want to start introducing cigars while it's this warm. The inside temp in my apartment right now is around 24C. I have a Cigar Oasis Caliber 4Rin there, and the lowest the temperature inside the unit has got is 80 degrees F.

Is this just an issue because the wood is still seasoning? I did try putting an ince pack inside just to test the thermostat on the unit wasn't broken, and sure enough within 5 minutes of placing it on the bottom of the unit the temperature dropped down from 28 to 22.

I can hear the cooler/heater unit is on and working so I'm kind of at a loss. Any help, hints and tips appreciated.
I’m confused as hell. You’re saying the lowest the wineador will go is 28C, and that the ambient temperature in your apartment is 24C. Are you literally saying that the wineador is warming a minimum of 4 degrees centigrade? Are you sure you didn’t buy a toaster oven instead?

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m confused as hell. You’re saying the lowest the wineador will go is 28C, and that the ambient temperature in your apartment is 24C. Are you literally saying that the wineador is warming a minimum of 4 degrees centigrade? Are you sure you didn’t buy a toaster oven instead?
Yes that's exactly what I'm saying, the temperature inside is warmer that the room itself. I'm going to return it and assume it has a faulty cooling unit. Think I'll just go down the Marine Cooler route. It may not look as pretty, but it will be a lot simpler and less hassle.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
That is so odd I thought you had a typo when I originally read the post. So when you open the unit and stick your head in, it feels warmer then the room.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not big enough for my head, but if certainly feels warm inside when you put your hand in. I'm going to turn it off and see if the temp. matches the room, as plugging it in certainly warms the bloody thing up! If that brings the temp down then it's going back to the manufacturer for a refund, and the £179.99 will be re-invested on a large marine cooler.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
If you've only been smoking cigars a short time you should expect your collection to grow and a larger unit will be necessary eventually. Give the manufacturer a chance to swap out the unit or look at NewAir, they make decent, reasonably priced cigar coolers. Good luck and welcome to the forum

IronW

Andrew
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
If you've only been smoking cigars a short time you should expect your collection to grow and a larger unit will be necessary eventually. Give the manufacturer a chance to swap out the unit or look at NewAir, they make decent, reasonably priced cigar coolers. Good luck and welcome to the forum
I second this. New air makes pretty good stuff.

Rating - 100%
59   0   0
Yes that's exactly what I'm saying, the temperature inside is warmer that the room itself. I'm going to return it and assume it has a faulty cooling unit. Think I'll just go down the Marine Cooler route. It may not look as pretty, but it will be a lot simpler and less hassle.
Then you have a defective unit, and you should return it. If you want to go the cooler route, then go ahead, but honestly wineadors in general are simple and not really a hassle. It doesn’t seem that way right now because you unfortunately got a bad one.

Rating - 100%
44   0   0
I’m late to the party. Sounds like the peltier plates may have go installed backwards. Does it blow cold out the back?

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I am about to jump into a wineador from 3 tupperdores and a humidor. Mainly because I can’t control the temp in my NY apartment and in the summer it gets too hot. Reading through all of these threads is extremely helpful for me. Thanks for sharing your experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk