What's new

New Winedor

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the Wife bought me the Whynter dual zone wine/cigar cooler. One side holds wine the other holds my cigars separate temps. Tonight I started the set up. Let it sit for a few days before then tonight I wiped the entire inside plastic with distilled water mixed with baking soda to remove any slight plastic smells it had. I am now at the point where I have been wiping all the shelves down with distilled water multiple times as my new cigar oasis runs at 80 RH. The unit is not going up to 80 yet and has been settling around 76%. I also have a small Tray of distilled water inside. Any suggestions on what I should be doing and for how long. My plan right now is to get the RH to level out at 80 the. Drop it a few degrees every 12 hrs over the course of a couple days to get it to level out at the 69-70% RH I am shooting for. Once I get it there I will start adding cigars a few at a time over the course of a couple more days. Not a huge fan of the drawers and shelves supplied so may be looking into other options down the line.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

kit_luce

To the ones we can save, and those we can't.
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Awesome setup man! I dont have a wino but I think you are on the right track. Did you plug the drain hole? I think that is one of the major steps in the process

Rating - 100%
93   0   0
You’re on the right track, although I think if I were you, I’d be happy with it at 76 degrees stable and start trickling down to the magic 65-70 RH range once I got there.

Are you planning to smoke out of this humidor? Or just long term aging?

A couple things I’ve noticed with mine...

I don’t run it (fans / cooling) 75% of the time, just when it’s hot in the summers. The rest of the time I float around 65-68 RH with Heartfelt beads in the top and bottom, and 67-70 degrees temperature.

I did something similar to you - getting the RH up and then bringing it back down, but I prefer to be closer to 65 than 70, but I’m also smoking out of the wineador as well. Everyone has a different preference, but I prefer 62-65 for habanos and 64-68 for everything else.

Finally, you might find that as you add smokes your humidity will fluctuate - I ended up putting all mine in at the same time and dropped 6-7 RH, but it gradually came back up as everything stabilized. I’d say don’t be scared with swings too much as you’re getting set up, it’ll all even out in a few weeks.

Welcome to the forums!

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
If you have enough properly humidified cigars to fill the new unit more then 1/2 way and it's just a matter of swinging them over to the new humidor I'd go ahead and move the entire lot. Their mass will help stabilize your cigar cooler. As Jasonatjl mentioned I also think your a bit high on your desired humidity but it is a personal preference. Good luck and nice pickup!

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have enough properly humidified cigars to fill the new unit more then 1/2 way and it's just a matter of swinging them over to the new humidor I'd go ahead and move the entire lot. Their mass will help stabilize your cigar cooler. As Jasonatjl mentioned I also think your a bit high on your desired humidity but it is a personal preference. Good luck and nice pickup!
I usually keep my cigars at around 67-69% RH and that's what I am shooting for in here. I plan on smoking out of it as well. In the winter I transfer a few over to a travel box that I keep at 72% though.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the Wife bought me the Whynter dual zone wine/cigar cooler. One side holds wine the other holds my cigars separate temps. Tonight I started the set up. Let it sit for a few days before then tonight I wiped the entire inside plastic with distilled water mixed with baking soda to remove any slight plastic smells it had. I am now at the point where I have been wiping all the shelves down with distilled water multiple times as my new cigar oasis runs at 80 RH. The unit is not going up to 80 yet and has been settling around 76%. I also have a small Tray of distilled water inside. Any suggestions on what I should be doing and for how long. My plan right now is to get the RH to level out at 80 the. Drop it a few degrees every 12 hrs over the course of a couple days to get it to level out at the 69-70% RH I am shooting for. Once I get it there I will start adding cigars a few at a time over the course of a couple more days. Not a huge fan of the drawers and shelves supplied so may be looking into other options down the line.

Very nice brother, I have the same Whynter but, I chose to eliminate the wine altogether and decided to use both sides for my Cubans. The smaller NewAir is for all non Cubans. I love this hobby/habit but, it is very expensive.

Attachments