What's new

Newb Questions

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
So I tried a pipe recently. a few newbie questions:

1. I bought a mid range tobacco and a cheap pipe from a b&m. I enjoyed it, but all the while I couldn't help feeling like I was smoking something from Walgreens.
Would a more expensive pipe change this?
Are there blends you can buy online that would feel a bit more "upscale," or is the pipe experience going to be more backwoods toasty baccy by nature?
Is all pipe tobacco dry cured, or are there blends that would need to be humidified like cigars?

2. I needed to relight pretty frequently, maybe once per 1-3 minutes over the course of 60 minutes. I think one time it stayed lit for over 5 minutes but that was the exception. Is that normal? Is there a trick to keeping it lit?

3. Recommended blends/online distributors if you care to share.

4. What is the benefit of an expensive $200+ pipe? Any brands you would recommend?

Thanks,
Acer

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I'm very new at piping also but since we are shareing the same learning process I'd like to chime in

#1 did you "break in" the new pipe? ie build a bit of a carbon coating on the inside of the bowl before smoking a full bowl
#2 I am finding a very broad range of tobaccos and tobacco flavorings. The backwoods, backy flavoring may be due to Kentucky fired cure tobacco in the blend.
#3 The type of pipe you are using has an affect on how you smoke and the flavors generated by the blend. Some tobacco burns hot due to higher sugar content or sweet blends and maybe should be smoked in a narrower, higher bowled pipe.
#4 do a search on how to light and smoke a pipe on Youtube they address your issues of lighting and relightingt. it takes practice but think of good BBQ when smoking a pipe Low and Slow is the way to go

The sites I am finding helpful are

Tobacco Reviews | Browse and Review your Favorite Pipe Tobacco Products
50+ Amazing Tobacco Pipe Shapes Explained - [Infographic]
Pipes and Cigars | Shop Tobacco Pipes, Pipe Tobacco & More
Tobacco Pipes, Smoking Tobacco and Pipe Accessories (Huge Selection, Best Prices)

and if you are a sucker for Cbid you can pickup up pipe tobacco at about 65% normal retail but their selection is limited use the review site to see what you want to bid on.

Rating - 100%
74   0   0
1. ~ "One man's trash is another man's treasure."
Everything in life is a personal preference. I happen to like Walgreen baccy (aka old codger blends). Smoke what you like.
Hit up your local B&M, open a few jars and start sniffing. Nobody knows what you like, but you, and don't equate baccy cost with pleasure.
I've owned cornies that smoke just as well as any of my Radices.

2. Maybe your blend was too moist? Next time nuke it at 10 seconds spreads, until it's not so moist.
If moisture isn't the culprit I like to 'stove pipe'. With your free hand cup you bowl and take a tug while resisting air flow. Should fire that baccy right up. (y)

3. You'll have to make that call. Give 4noggins or TobaccoPipes a shot.

A. It's simple, we seek validation. :p
B. You'll become well schooled in lying to your wife why you can't afford to eat at restaurants any more.
C. Read first line of #3.

Rating - 100%
9   0   0

1. I bought a mid range tobacco and a cheap pipe from a b&m. I enjoyed it, but all the while I couldn't help feeling like I was smoking something from Walgreens.
Are there blends you can buy online that would feel a bit more "upscale," or is the pipe experience going to be more backwoods toasty baccy by nature?
Is all pipe tobacco dry cured, or are there blends that would need to be humidified like cigars?

2. I needed to relight pretty frequently, maybe once per 1-3 minutes over the course of 60 minutes. I think one time it stayed lit for over 5 minutes but that was the exception. Is that normal? Is there a trick to keeping it lit?

4. What is the benefit of an expensive $200+ pipe? Any brands you would recommend?

Thanks,
Acer
Welcome to the pipe side!
1. It’s doubtful that a better pipe will make much of a difference for you at this point. There is a fairly steep learning curve to smoking a pipe and you get the basics down before you will notice a difference in the pipes themselves, it is possible to get a dud though,
Same with tobacco, until you get the right pack and cadence down it’s all gonna taste pretty much the same. I generally suggest someone start with one of the codger blends like Prince Albert or Carter Hall these are very forgiving blends that give you a chance to get the basics without having to fight with the tobacco at the same time.
Pipe tobacco is generally shipped/stored at around 15-18% moisture, if I remember correctly this works out to something like 35-40 rh
Relights are normal although they do get fewer as you learn.
Smokingpipes.com is my go to
You can find good smoking pipes under $100, it helps if you know what your looking for. True duds are rare although you will find a lot of “quirks “ As you go up the price scale the material and craftsmanship improves until about the $400+ after that it’s mostly about the aesthetics and reputation of the carver.
I suggest getting a Cobb to learn with

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dry tobacco before packing...my favorite is to set in front of spacer heater when applicable, only takes a few minutes.

Pack and tamp your pipe very lightly to start out.

As stated above, start w/a classic, Prince Albert or Carter Hall are perfect. They are fairly easy to smoke.

A Corn Cobb is the smart choice.. cheap and smoke well.

If you wanna dip in deeper, Radice pipes are a good popular choice. Not crazy pricey, the 3 I own all smoke great.

Rating - 100%
62   0   0

**Better briar can make for a better smoking experience, but I've also found that smoking a corn cob can be just as enjoyable. I'd suggest if you want to upgrade a Savinelli is a great starter pipe that won't break the bank....imho

**Drug store blends are ok but can have excessive pg (propylene glycol) solution in them. I'd suggest going on Smoking Pipes and look through the bulk blends from Sutliff or try Watch City Cigars blended tobacco and choose a few that sound appealing.

Sutliff Pipe Tobacco (smokingpipes.com)
Watch City's Famous Pipe Tobacco Blends! - Page 1 - Watch City Cigar & Pipe

**Aro's are going to be pretty moist. I'd suggest drying your tobacco over might or micro it for about 7 seconds. Relighting is a part of pipe smoking. You want to keep your smoke cool so the flavor is better, and your tongue won't get scorched.

**Smoking Pipes and Tobacco Pipes and Watch City Cigars. (personally, I enjoy Ernie's blends)

**Better engineering and briar which make the smoking experience that much better. Radice, Savinelli, Neerup and Winslow I don't consider these expensive in the world of pipes but they do smoke well. I'd suggest going though smoking Pipe. I'd suggest waiting for a sale. Another avenue is getting an unsmoked estate pipe.

Thanks,
Acer

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Thanks for all the great replies guys, too many to re-reply to. I actually bought a little wooden pipe that was cheaper than the corn cobs. :LOL: It works for now. I'll see if I stick with it, and I'll try some of your tips like drying the tobacco first, the blends I got were definitely goop-y like chewing tobacco. I'll check out some blends on the websites you mentioned, my guess is more "artisan" stuff won't have that Walgreens flavor, hopefully.

Rating - 100%
62   0   0
Thanks for all the great replies guys, too many to re-reply to. I actually bought a little wooden pipe that was cheaper than the corn cobs. :LOL: It works for now. I'll see if I stick with it, and I'll try some of your tips like drying the tobacco first, the blends I got were definitely goop-y like chewing tobacco. I'll check out some blends on the websites you mentioned, my guess is more "artisan" stuff won't have that Walgreens flavor, hopefully.

Missouri Meerschaum Pipes (smokingpipes.com) These are the best starter pipes. I still enjoy smoking these just as much as other pipes.

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I would suggest that you try some non-aromatics, it’s easier to smoke and get the taste of the tobacco. The ones you have are a quality tobacco but require a good bit of experience to smoke and actually get anything out of, drying will help. Also look up the breath method for smoking a pipe.