What's new

Newbie checking in.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Greetings and happy new year fellow BOTL's and thank you for letting me join this wonderful forum of the leaf.

Please allow me to introduce myself.
I'm currently the principal second violinist of the Cyprus symphony after I had to change disciplines from business where I had been sales&marketing manager in a plastics factory which went out of business in the 2013 economic crisis.

Last August and while on tour with the orchestra, a fellow violinist who had been to Cuba that very summer, gave me a Cuban cigar to try and I was hooked. It wasn't a fake as he bought all his cigars from a high-class hotel. As he is not a cigar smoker, I ended up smoking all the cigars he brought wth him on the tour, since no one else in the group smoked cigars. Now I have a 100 count humidor with some really nice cigars (for me). I do like medium strength, but with complexity and creaminess and my local tobacconist is a big help with this. I love the Alec Bradley brand as well as the LFD and now I'm being introduced to the Rocky Patel cigars with the Olde World reserve.

I have seasoned my humidor with distilled water and it now keeps 70% humidity all the time. For humidity I use a 50-50 propylene glycol solution which I prepare myself with distilled water. It makes me think though, I might not be doing things right when other people use Bovida packs which are surely more expensive than this solution.
Perhaps you might care to advise me on this before it's too late. My last question is that in the summer we regularly see temperatures of about a 100 every day for a couple of months. I'm really worried how to keep my cigars at a temperature that will not harm them.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
62   0   0
Welcome to BOTL! Boveda packs aren't terribly expensive, at least here in the US they're not - you might end up having to pay more for shipping, but they can be "recharged" using distilled water when they dry out so you don't have to keep buying new ones

mjones9630

Who?
Rating - 100%
73   0   0
Welcome! If you're serious about keeping some cigars, you can't go wrong investing in a few boveda packs to maintain your collection. PG mixes and really, most of the humidification on the market has the ability to over humidify, leading to mold issues, or at least, a "too wet to smoke" cigar. The bovedas are very much a set and forget solution for humidification. And might I suggest 65% or 69%... The 72% is just too wet.
As far as heat goes, try to store your humidor someplace cool during the summer, maybe a closet or something..

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all for your welcoming words. I'll finally succumb to buying Boveda packs, but anywhere I look, shipping is insane. Shipping is a bit more than the packs themselves. For the moment I don't have to worry as the humidity in my humidor is 70% while ambient humidity is 85%. I'll keep looking for Boveda packs though as Summer is not far away.

akpreacherplayz

The Preacher
Rating - 100%
115   0   0
Thank you all for your welcoming words. I'll finally succumb to buying Boveda packs, but anywhere I look, shipping is insane. Shipping is a bit more than the packs themselves. For the moment I don't have to worry as the humidity in my humidor is 70% while ambient humidity is 85%. I'll keep looking for Boveda packs though as Summer is not far away.
Amazon.com

Sent from Area 51 using telepathy