What's new

Not too new to the leaf

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

A search for wholesale supplier of long filler, binder and wrapper led me here. Seeing there are a few here who share some things in common, I decided to join. I roll my own cigars using some of the finest Sumatran TBN (2007 crop), Java Besuki VBN and fillers of all sorts. A CT Broadleaf wrapper is nice on occasion and even an old traditional CT Shade wrapper has its place. I've rolled cigars using 100% Oriental tobaccos and everyone who tried them complimented on how mild and distinctive they were.

I'm a distributor of whole leaf tobacco as well as a grower of heirloom and rare varieties. Some of the varieties I grow are grown nowhere else in the world. I supply cigar manufacturers, wholesale distributors and retail clients with premium aged tobaccos. My goal is to provide the highest quality tobaccos to end users and I'm always hunting for it.

I'm learning more about commercial cigars and maybe someday I'll understand what goes into them.

Rupe

Suburban robot that monitors reality -BOM Feb.'13
Rating - 100%
401   0   0
:welcome: from Minnesota!

It's great to have you here!

I've been on a quest to gain insight into all the aspects of cigars from seed to smoke so I'm looking forward to your posts.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the things about cigars that confuses me is the ingredient labeling. Honduran wrapper, Nicaraguan filler, Dominican filler only states the country of origin. There are almost 2000 varieties of tobacco (Nicotiana tabacum) alone and this does not include nicotiana rustica, sylvestris, attenuata etc. I've grown about 120 different varieties in almost all types (Wrapper, Binder, Filler, Burley, Dark Air, Flue Cured, Oriental etc) and can tell you...they all have unique qualities.

Most of the commercial varieties are similar in flavor characteristics and if you were to go to a commercial growing site, you will not find the word "flavor" mentioned anywhere. I equate today's commercial tobacco varieties to store bought tomatoes vs. home grown tomatoes. Developed to be harvested mechanically, hauled long distances without bruising, long shelf life and no flavor. The country of origin tobacco is grown in only tells a very small part of the story.

There is a small group dedicated growers who are trying to unlock the mysteries of heirloom varieties and hope to rediscover some of those which have been lost history and progress.

Rating - 100%
143   0   0
Welcome from Detroit, I look forward to hearing more about growing the leaf, and the different varieties as it sounds very interesting.