What's new

Now That's How You Parent

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No problem with what he did and understand his thinking. If that works for him and his family, great. That said, there are those that want their kids in that type of "recreational program" where everyone plays the same amount of time, regardless of talent, make it about playing a sport, having fun, wins and losses are secondary(or lower) bla...bla..bla...

If you don't want participation trophies, get the kids in comp level competition. Try out for the best teams in the area. Earn your spot on the team, earn your playing time and earn your trophies/medals/banners ect.

In conclusion, kids are not dumb. They know what those type of trophies are. They know if they are good at something and know when they are going to get picked last in schoolyard ball or on the pond.

Rating - 100%
49   0   0
i can't agree more. I don't have kids yet, but when I do, I want them to shake off the current generation of 20-somethings' (the "Millennials") sense of entitlement.

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
I agree with this 110%, my dad said the same to me your there to compete. He always told me I did great but the participation trophy was not ok. The winner trophy got the recognition it deserves but to just participate that is BS. I find this is creating a generation of self entitled, disrespectful, lazy children. In their eyes and it would be any of ours, if I just show up I get an award, so why try while I am there.

Good for Harrison, not a fan of the guy as he does stupid shit but I give him my full respect on this.
JM