What's new

Nuevitas Jibaro #2

indyrob

BoM Feb '06 & Sept. '08
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
Before I break into the review, I asked Pete Johnson a couple of questions about the Jibaro

Rob-This cigar is credited to Pepin Garcia, but if it was from Tropical,
wouldn't it be a Pedro Martin cigar?
Pete-The cigar is completely a creation of mine with no relation to Pepin.
I had the cigar made by Tabacalera Tropical which was no longer Pedro
Martin's company. I modeled the cigar after an unfinished custom
rolled Cohiba a friend brought me back from Cuba. Pretty much straight
to the point when it comes to strength.

Rob-When did it get the axe? I have been told that the Jibaro (both #1 and
#2) fell a little short of what you wanted it to be, prompting the
axe. Is that true?
Pete-I had inventory finished when the factory told me that they were going
to start contracting their production out to another factory. I
decided to stop before seeing what they could do with it. I also knew
that Pepin wanted to make all of my cigars. So I committed to Pepin
exclusively for now. There is a slim chance years from now that these
might return.

Rob-Was there a reason that the blend wasn't tweaked and continued instead
of becoming discontinued?
Pete-I wouldn't have made them in the first place if I did not think they
were good or had potential for aging.

The review...

The Jibaro is a nice looking stick, 6 x 52 with an unfinished "shag" foot and nice cap. It has a very silky wrapper but it's slightly bumpy apperance makes it look a little off.

Lighting the shag foot is almost effortless. Nice start, mellow not as harsh as I expected. Leans toward a medium flavor with a rustic oaken taste to it.

About an inch into it the Oaken flavor becomes very pronounced and lots of smoke. Very easy draw to it. Inhaling the smoke back through the nose is very difficult. The smoke is very powerfull and hard to take in, almost burns the inside of the nostril.

1/3
Burns very sharp and has a pretty tight ash. Subtle raisin flavor but still has a pronounced Oak flavor. Not as strong now but still is the predominant flavor.

1/2
The cigar is starting to become a little starchy and chewy. Mostly due to the nicotine. Riaisn takes over as predominant flavor.

2/3
This one took off after the 2/3 and became a great finisher. Oak and raisin really pared up and the starchiness of the nicotine make for a heady mix.

Overall this is a fine cigar. It builds up all the way to the end. I think it was probably like most cigars out of Nicaragua and has the ever so slight metallic taste to it but not so much that the metallic taste takes the stage.

This cigar would rate a "OTT"(Off The Truck) B+ in my book. I'll smoke another in a few weeks and try it again.

Len___T

n0ob Phreak
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
thinking about pulling the trigger on a bundle of these I found online...since I am at work I dont know what site...at home I have it saved to a folder I have all my cigar related sites in...very nice review rob..len