What's new

Office fire (UPDATE)

gui_tarzan

Certifiable
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Fellow BOTLs (and SOTLs)

As some of you know, last Tuesday (4-12) my office caught on fire in the middle of the night. It incinerated everything in my office and smoked up the entire high school, but miraculously nothing else burned. The construction of this new section of the building is such that it prevented the spread of the fire even though temperatures were estimated at 1500+ degrees for almost four hours.

Since my office is in our library and adjacent to our cafeteria, both of them had severe smoke damage and our library will have to be completely stripped and rebuilt this summer. The cleaning crews have our kitchen and cafeteria almost totally clean and repainted already and we are hoping to open school back up next week.

The investigators told me on Wednesday that they believe it was started by a malfunctioning piece of equipment, i.e. my computer or battery backup or something like that, but since there was such a hot fire for so long they may never know for sure.

What really sucks is that if our HVAC had been hooked up right the air handlers would have shut down and the smoke would not have spread through out the whole building. But that's an issue the insurance co. will take up with the contractor so we'll see what happens there.

The up-side of this is that aside from my small pets and fish nobody was hurt and we can rebuild and replace the lost items. I appreciate all the good thoughts and prayers I have received.

So last night I finally sat down and had an FdO and was able to relax a little. It's been one HELL of a week!!!

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Hal, definately thoughts and prayers sent your way, but let's get the serious question out of they way, ok?

Were any cigars hurt in this fire? :wink:

gui_tarzan

Certifiable
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Jwrussell said:
Hal, definately thoughts and prayers sent your way, but let's get the serious question out of they way, ok?

Were any cigars hurt in this fire? :wink:

LOL!!! No, I'm told federal law prohibits any tobacco use on a K-12 campus at any time. It's a good thing too, 'cause I was tempted to put a small humi here just so I could sniff them during the day!

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hal said:
LOL!!! No, I'm told federal law prohibits any tobacco use on a K-12 campus at any time. It's a good thing too, 'cause I was tempted to put a small humi here just so I could sniff them during the day!
Boy how the times have changed. I remember when I was in high school (late 70's) I would walk into the football coaches office and the first thing he would do is toss me a can of Skoal. He'd probably get fired now.

Keep your chin up and I hope all goes well.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
They had a "smoking Lounge"-actually a place on the blacktop courtyard, for the "burnouts" to smoke when I was in HS. no matter the weather, they were out there.

gui_tarzan

Certifiable
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I took my smoke break in my car. No standing out on the street for me. I quit cigarettes in 1986, five years after graduation. I don't know when they outlawed it altogether.

tobby4

June '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
definetly good to hear that things are slowly but surely getting better.. you and your school are still in our thoughts...