What's new

Oh crap.

herfdog

I am no rocket surgeon
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
Today I decided to check the boveda inside the lancerons box, in my woofadore. My storage is in a converted wine fridge, separated by wooden cigar boxes - often by size or type, and there's general humidification in the wino, plus bovedas in boxes... The maintenance is mainly of theain unit, with non-frequent checks of the individual boxes.
I haven't smoke a lanceros since lanceros February 2 or 3 years ago and most of my skinnies already aged a few years in my storage.

I believe I added one and changed the boveda when the last dog rocket pass finished a few months ago, and as far as I remember all was ok. But, look what I found today!

herfdog

I am no rocket surgeon
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
I cleaned the box and put the sticks in the freezer.

Now that I think of it, the wino got unplugged a few days during the heat wave last summer, when we installed the central heat pump. I guess that was the first time the unit got "too hot"

herfdog

I am no rocket surgeon
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
Being that my setup is separated by boxes, should I worry about other boxes or would the physical separation do the trick? (the main reason for me using boxes was to prevent this kind of spreading)

herfdog

I am no rocket surgeon
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
After discussing with my girl, she agreed using the Big freezer was ok. Things are moved there. This is a massively cold storage unit with lots of space.
Can anyone remind me how long in the freezer we need? I have in mind 2 days.

No other boxes have been affected from what I have seen, I think the concept of tiny containment units works.

I will still wipe out the woofadore while there is room to do so, takes only minimal time Anyway.

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I had that happen to my desktop a few years put the whole desktop into a commercial freezer for 4 days, lol! Still use that desktop.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Think you should put the boxes in doubled 2 gallon ziplocks? A freezer is about the worst environment for an unprotected cigar. low humidity and smells. Maybe should have cooled them at refrigerator temperatures before going in the freezer. Cubans are a day in the fridge, three days in the freezer and then another day in the fridge.

herfdog

I am no rocket surgeon
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
Normally I put the sticks in sealed plastic containers, but I don't have anything big enough for the whole wino so this will have to do. It won't remain longer than needed so I don't think it will be a problem.

I live in Canada, when we receive any sticks in the winter, they get a very worst treatment than that and still smoke great.

(most sticks in there got frozen by Canada post, like 2-3 times on the way here)

Rating - 100%
42   0   0
Herf, you've got boxed stuff there, so 36 hours, then whatever the next opportunity is to thaw them out.
I did this once and went from freezer to fridge, albiet only as a "step down" for a few hours.
Bagwise - Mine were loose smokes so they went in freezer bags.

Last edited:

herfdog

I am no rocket surgeon
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
Herf, you've got boxed stuff there, so 36 hours, then whatever the next opportunity is to thaw them out.
I did this once and went from freezer to fridge, albiet only as a "step down" for a few hours.
Bagwise - Mine were loose smokes so they went in freezer bags.
Thanks Bondo, that's what I'll do. All is in box, straight in the freezer. How long of a fridge period should we need?

Rating - 100%
37   0   0
Being that my setup is separated by boxes, should I worry about other boxes or would the physical separation do the trick? (the main reason for me using boxes was to prevent this kind of spreading)
Man that sucks!!! I’d be worried about the rest of them. Just seeing it makes me worry about my sticks here!!! Literally just got up & checked on my tupperdor after seeing this. I hope the freezing works out for you & you didn’t loose to many cigars!!!

herfdog

I am no rocket surgeon
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
I remember there was a chart that had temperature/duration. I think it came from Steve Ssaka if memory serves. The colder the shorter was required.

I can't find it now that I want to see it.