What's new

OK, who else is a Nerd??

Kurtdesign1

The Thinker
Rating - 100%
66   0   0
Well, I love my in-laws (future), they're great people, but they often give odd gifts or just signs of effection in general, actually. So because of this, on Christmas when they gave me the collective works in the Harry Potter series, I just chalked it up to them being odd again since I had never once expressed interest in the series.
In an attempt to make my GF happy and try to impress upon her parents that I appreciate what they've given me, I started reading the book on lazy afternoons where there were no other things I had to attend to and little did I know, I was getting hooked.
Well, It's been 4 weeks since christmas and I've read the first 4 1/2 books of the series. I can't put them down. Damn JK Rowling for inventing these 3 brats who I'm so interested in now! I can't believe I caught the HP bug, I never thought it would happen to me. Anyway, any other nerds out there who got snickered into reading these things or just like them for any reason in particular?

Attn Mod: I'd have put this under 'Other Interests', but wsan't sure what catagory it would fall under. Perhaps a new thread of 'Novels & other Entertainment' should be in order? Who knows...

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Screw Nerdiness, this series is one of the best ever, period! I got involved kind of the same way you did. I had been dismissing it forever until I found myself at my Mom's one holiday with nothing to read and she AGAIN suggested these to me. I read the first book in a day and a half and have been hooked since. I'm currently re-reading the series in preperation for the next book in July.

Trust me, slow yourself down! :lol: She takes FOREVER between books. :lol:

Kurtdesign1

The Thinker
Rating - 100%
66   0   0
I'm used to Star Wars movies. 3 years between them. The 2 years between OOTP and HBP is nothing! Though, I do wish it was 3 months instead.

tobby4

June '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
uh yea.... never read the books but i have seen the movies, they are pretty good....

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
My youngest chose it as a bedtime reading, so I've now read the first one. Enjoyed the movie more.

geoffrie

Pappa Smurf
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Yup, started reading them after being called a muggle.

Wonderful stories, great imagination.

Perhaps blasphemy, but they could be a child's pre-cursor to Tolkien.

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Heck, I've questioned the whole "geared towards children" aspect of the whole series, honestly. Though I can definately see that, there is some majorly dark themes that roll through the series that you really don't see in the movies. The movies all seem to be much more "light-hearted".