What's new

OKAY made the next step

NOGILLS2

Navigator
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
Arrived home today from a men's retreat, to find a package on the couch with three boxes and a 10 pack of new sticks. Trying to get them to fit in the cooler, and it didn't work, SOOOOO, I went up to the next level. I now have a 50 quart Coleman Extreme cooler. I washed it out and moved everything over to the new cooler. Moved the kitty litter over, placed the new boxes in the bottom and stacked the trays, and open boxes. I am watching the humidity climb from 59% to 62% in a few minutes and it is still climbing. I usually hold at 70% to 71%. If you want to see what I received, photo's are in the thread " http://www.botl.org/posts/1894583/ " Since I started typing this thread I am at 63% and climbing.

Rating - 100%
82   0   0
Please forgive the newb question, but what's the advantage of the cooler over Tupperware? Is is strictly size, or are there other benefits?

NOGILLS2

Navigator
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
No real advantage, one is slower temperature change, with a cooler. Depends on where you live and the temp in your house. Some people don't maintain the same temp, when they are not home to conserve utility cost. Ironically, our utilities run a low average monthly bill. so it is not that big of a deal for me. I like the cooler more.

Rating - 100%
82   0   0
Interesting, thank you. I tend to be a little frugal when it comes to heat and A/C and do not keep constant temperature in the house. I guess I need to look into this before summer.

Rating - 71.4%
6   2   0
I used a desktop, then tupperware, later a big ass cooler, and now a full size refrigerator in my basement. The compressor locked down and it was super clean so that's what I got now. Great for long term storage on a large scale. A cooler fills up faster than you think and eventually you've got 2 or 3 coolers lying around.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Smitty
Trying to get the refrigerator dialed in before summer time. I bought the thermostat that cycles the compressor but I'm concerned about humidity issues with the refrigerator? Did you have to do anything special to keep the humidity up?

sofc

I hate E and Chef
Rating - 100%
276   0   0
Insulated better and often keeps humidity better than tupperware.

I like that you just put the cigars in there instead of overthinking it.

Rating - 100%
82   0   0
Well, I went from a few in a mason jar to a small desktop humi. Joined this site, got a tupperdore and only a couple weeks in, I'm already thinking I need to upgrade. Lost of bad influences around here!

Rating - 71.4%
6   2   0
Smitty
Trying to get the refrigerator dialed in before summer time. I bought the thermostat that cycles the compressor but I'm concerned about humidity issues with the refrigerator? Did you have to do anything special to keep the humidity up?
The refrigerator is non functional so I use beads and jars for the humidity. Stays around 64rf and 61 degrees or so. A compressor pulls to much humidity out of the conditioned space. You'd have to use a thermoelectric device such as an ammonia system. I'm an electrician with a hvacr license by the way.

NOGILLS2

Navigator
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
Well I have made another step. I have two old cypress boards, I was given a many years ago, I have had these boards for more than 10 years. They measure 10 feet by 16 inches by 1 inch. I have been looking for someone to help me build them into a humidor. One of the guy's at the men's retreat is a cabinet builder and a BOTL, and he has agreed to help me turn this into a humidor. I have decided to build a cabinet 36 inches tall by 24 inches wide by 15 inches deep. Lined with Spanish cedar. I plan to post pictures as the project progress'. I plan to build a stand for this cabinet to sit on. If any changes occur I'll keep you posted.