What's new

Old-timey casings

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
@Gdaddy and I and others have been reading antique petuning/casing/flavoring docs for the last year+, and it is always fascinating shiznitz.
Tonka bean is something that comes up a lot in the old recipes. I always had this notion that "tonka bean is illegal in the USA and has been replaced by vanilla." Seems like it's more just sort of FDA banned in commercial foodery. But turns out you can pretty easily get the stuff online. E.g.:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/255988473/tonquin-beans-tonka-dipteryx-odorata?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=shopping_us_c-home_and_living-food_and_drink-herbs_and_spices_and_seasonings_deeplink&utm_custom1=48b9b8ed-31e2-4a0f-9472-bda7b2d1c23d&gclid=CjwKEAjwlq24BRDMjdK7g8mD6BASJABBl8n3ZH2V_nbDlf3uBDEYcMZAFHjBDEZDp3Rib1_WNS8tTxoCy17w_wcB

With a flavor profile of vanilla, almond, cinnamon, and maybe cherries, sounds like one interesting little bean....
I think my next cigar label is gonna include this info:
"Contains tinctures of cascarilla and valerian, gum benzoin, storax, and myrrh. " Because benzoin just sounds tasty.

Last edited:

Hopduro

PhDStogies
Rating - 100%
237   0   0
@Gdaddy and I and others have been reading antique petuning/casing/flavoring docs for the last year+, and it is always fascinating shiznitz.
Tonka bean is something that comes up a lot in the old recipes. I always had this notion that "tonka bean is illegal in the USA and has been replaced by vanilla." Seems like it's more just sort of FDA banned in commercial foodery. But turns out you can pretty easily get the stuff online. E.g.:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/255988473/tonquin-beans-tonka-dipteryx-odorata?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=shopping_us_c-home_and_living-food_and_drink-herbs_and_spices_and_seasonings_deeplink&utm_custom1=48b9b8ed-31e2-4a0f-9472-bda7b2d1c23d&gclid=CjwKEAjwlq24BRDMjdK7g8mD6BASJABBl8n3ZH2V_nbDlf3uBDEYcMZAFHjBDEZDp3Rib1_WNS8tTxoCy17w_wcB

With a flavor profile of vanilla, almond, cinnamon, and maybe cherries, sounds like one interesting little bean....
I think my next cigar label is gonna include this info:
"Contains tinctures of cascarilla and valerian, gum benzoin, storax, and myrrh. " Because benzoin just sounds tasty.
Benzoin makes me want to know the molecular structure:

Looks like something i would use in the lab lol. Should have that structure on your band!

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk