What's new

"Older" cigars tunneling

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I monitor my humidor's temp/humidity weekly. It lives in the lower level of my house, where both of these values almost naturally stay at 65/65 (plus or minus 3/3 during the winter). For my needs, that works great and my cigars generally draw and burn well. I've really never had any issues.

Nearly a year ago, I decided to try an experiment to find out whether aging cigars improved their qualities. So I've had a handful of good quality sticks resting in my humidor for over 300 days. The only thing I've done during that time is to rotate them occasionally to different positions within the humidor (top/middle/bottom of the heap) because I've heard that's a generally good policy.

For humidification I use Heartfelt beads with distilled water. That's it.

I've smoked four of these aged cigars recently, and all four of them exhibited some kind of severe burn problem. Three of them tunneled and one just had a bizarre uneven burn. My newer cigars, however, don't have these issues.

I keep my hygrometer calibrated, but even if it wasn't accurate it still fluctuates very little on a weekly basis, so the humidity/temp are at least steady. I've been told tunneling is due to different degrees of humidity in the inner vs. outer layers of the cigar. I don't see how that can happen if my humidor's conditions don't vary much.

Anyone have any insight or a similar experience?

Should I try dry-boxing these cigars for a few days before I smoke them?

I'm a little baffled.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Is wind, breeze or AC blowing on you an issue? Also, make sure when you light the cigar the wrapper is lit as well as the filler ( that can cause a tunnel). I never understood the rotate thing. I have cabs of 50cts. I don't open them and rorate the cigars inside. I've been a cigar smoker for over 25yrs and never rotated a cigar or had an oust fan. I run 3 large desktops and two 75Qt coolerdors rotation and fan free.

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
I don't know where the whole rotation thing came from. Seem to see quite a few people talking about it on here lately. The fictional creature above references my exact reason for thinking rotation is just bunk. Many, many cigar collectors who have been doing this for decades have been storing smokes completely untouched in their original boxes, in many cases without ever having opened them, and they are just fine when finally cracked. There is no reason to expect that there should be severe enough differences in your RH from one spot to another within your humidor to make rotating cigars necessary, and if that is the case, the answer probably isn't rotating the cigars but fixing whatever is causing the difference. If you have enough humidification media within your humidor/cooler/wine'idor, etc, it will work to stabilize the entire environment. There may be some differences between the top and bottom of the unit if it is big enough, but it likely has to do with temps and not really with humidity, and should never be an issue with a desktop humi.

As to the tunneling...it is strange that you are only having this issue with these cigars. When you say "newer", how new are they? Are the newer cigars a completely different type than the ones you are aging? Are all of the cigars you are aging the same or similar? Some more information may help. Also, 300 days isn't really much aging. In fact, if we were talking age from rolling date, that would be a pretty fresh cigar (though possibly in desperate need of a nap depending on the tobaccos used). That may not have much to do with your problem though. After almost a year I would expect them to be well settled into the environment of the humidor. How often are you adding new cigars to the humidor?

indyrob

BoM Feb '06 & Sept. '08
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
Just my $0.02 but I don't think there needs to be so much science behind storage. I don't use a hygrometer anymore, just go by feel and smokability. If I have an exceptionally dry cigar I'll add water. If its spongy then I'll take my beads out for a day. I have been running it that way for the last couple of years and cigars are smoking better now.

Used to Chase my tail trying to maintain a number instead of a humidor if you know what I mean.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Just my $0.02 but I don't think there needs to be so much science behind storage. I don't use a hygrometer anymore, just go by feel and smokability. If I have an exceptionally dry cigar I'll add water. If its spongy then I'll take my beads out for a day. I have been running it that way for the last couple of years and cigars are smoking better now.

Used to Chase my tail trying to maintain a number instead of a humidor if you know what I mean.
Exactly, The hobby should be about relaxation. Newbs are going to burn themselves out fretting about numbers. I tend to my humidors once a month. The cigars take care of themselves. Ive known Newbs who would not go on a two week vacation becuase they worried about thier cigars.

Craig Mac

BoM 4/10 7/11 12/14
Rating - 100%
446   0   0

Exactly, The hobby should be about relaxation. Newbs are going to burn themselves out fretting about numbers. I tend to my humidors once a month. The cigars take care of themselves. Ive known Newbs who would not go on a two week vacation because they worried about their cigars.
I think everyone pretty much goes through that at first, we spend good money on cigars and accessories so why not be overly cautious to make sure they are properly stored. In time I think that begins to fade and you will not be so concerned with slight fluctuations from day to day and start going on how it is smoking/feels.

As far as the OP's concern about his tunneling cigars, if you are maintaining a stable 65/65 environment then to me it sound more like a construction issue with the cigars than anything else. If your cigars are smoking well then there is no need for dry boxing them.

Rating - 100%
32   0   0
The only time I've experienced tunneling is when I did not light it properly or the center was not rolled correctly. Typically loose so it burns faster than the wrapper.

indyrob

BoM Feb '06 & Sept. '08
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
As far as the OP's concern about his tunneling cigars, if you are maintaining a stable 65/65 environment then to me it sound more like a construction issue with the cigars than anything else. If your cigars are smoking well then there is no need for dry boxing them.
This is true only if it's widespread and not localized to a single cigar. If it's tunneling than the ligero isn't getting enough moisture. Too much of a cone suggests too much moisture.

Ligero is a natural hygrometer. It's really hygroscopic and will let you know really fast whats going on inside your humidor. You don't need a razor sharp burn to know you've got a good balance, but you don't want an extreme tunnel or cone.

Dry boxing could help - only because it sounds like the outer leaves, binder & wrapper have a little more moisture than the ligero in the center. I would just take it out and let it sit for a little while and breath.

Jfire

BoM 9/9' 9/11' 8/12'
Rating - 100%
391   0   0
To me it sounds like it's not a storage issue at all but maybe either the cigar batch(s) or maybe going straight from the humidor to right outside in a different climate and meeting flame. Maybe a few days of acclimating to current outside conditions may help.(dryboxing)

Craig Mac

BoM 4/10 7/11 12/14
Rating - 100%
446   0   0
I see your point, just assumed after 300 days in a stable enviroment the cigars wouldn't have much inner/outer humidity differences.

indyrob

BoM Feb '06 & Sept. '08
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
I see your point, just assumed after 300 days in a stable enviroment the cigars wouldn't have much inner/outer humidity differences.
I thought so too but it's what it sounds like. Don't know how/why, there is an infinite amount of variables that we are not privy to over the course of the past year.

I've got a box or 2 of some PAN Exclusivo's that are damn near rock hard and smoke like a dream. 1 box is about 4 years old and they are starting to loose their 'square' press and flaring out at the foot...I can vouch for a pretty stable setup but the only thing I have changes in the past 2 years was going from a basement setup with a cabinet in Indiana to (2) 36 bottle wine fridge in hot ass So. Utah. I think there are a number of different variables that will effect\affect a cigar in performance and looks and unless good notes and ambient temp & Rh is factored into the study it doesn't really prove or disprove anything.

Craig Mac

BoM 4/10 7/11 12/14
Rating - 100%
446   0   0
I just kept it simple I guess. I am good at that, haha. I am kind of curious as to what cigars he is talking about. I looked at the 300 days, not in a box and rotated as an assumption humidity wasn't a factor. Nothing more frustrating then a bad burn on a cigar you've been saving.