What's new

Oliva Serie V Melanio Petit Corona

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
We've had a spell of warm weather up here in the Great White North (hopefully a sign that spring is finally here!). I just needed a cigar today, and it still isn't quite warm enough to enjoy a full sized stogie. So I chose...

Right off the bat, the thing is beautiful. Typical of Oliva (in particular the V line), it's pretty much perfect. Beautiful double cap, seams are invisible, and it's firm and even. It looks and feels great.

First light and first few puffs are intensely spicy. Pepper on my tongue and when I swallow, the burn goes right down my throat (that's what she said).

Just a few puffs in and the pepper disappears completely. Now it's a deep almost leathery flavour. It kind of reminds me of my dad's old leather jacket from high school. It's a subtle flavour that's very warm and comforting.

The ash falls off after only about 3/4 of an inch, but not surprising with such a slim ring gauge. It's burning beautifully though. Straight burn line, ash has those lovely lines where you can see every draw you've taken, and the draw is just perfect for me. There's enough resistance that I can take really long, slow draws just the way I like it.

Smoking for about 35 minutes now. The leather has gone away and it's been replaced with a bit of a spice (not pepper, more like a mild chili heat) and a tiny hint of cocoa. It's a great spicy sweet combo. Still smoking like a dream.

A little over 50 minutes and it's starting to get hot so I'm finishing it off. The retrohales have (as they usually do) given so much more depth to the flavour, hinting at that rich aged tobacco flavour that is a signature of the V line (at least that I've noticed).

I really enjoyed this one. I have yet to try the V maduro (or the V Melanio maduro for that matter), but I think this makes a nice little brother to the core V line. It's a slightly less intense version of that, so between its calmer tone and the small size of the petite corona, it was a great smoke for a cool day.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome review! I had one in Robusto this past weekend. I, too, picked up on leathery notes on the draw until the last third... Then it went very unsweetened cocoa! Finish was black pepper the whole stick. Great smoke!

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
47   0   0
Great review! I always love ready what other people pick up.. I like to then smoke it and see if I can pick it up.

Melanio has always been one of my favs but the Maddy is my go to! Keep it up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jreyesortiz

Veteran, Homebrewer, & Cigar Smoker
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I really enjoyed this stick, I also have the Maduro that I can't wait to try.

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
40   0   0
I really enjoyed this stick, I also have the Maduro that I can't wait to try.

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk
Welcome @Jreyesortiz , glad to have you here on BOTL. I'm really not giving you a hard time regarding your post. I just like the term 'necroposting' and wanted to use it. Now I've used it twice. My joy is complete.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Hope nobody minds my hopping on board and adding a review here. I reviewed for SMOKE magazine for a bit, and enjoyed that type of review. So, here is one for y'all.

0.0 - 2.0 = poor/inferior quality
2.1 - 2.9 = fair
3.0 - 3.5 = good
3.5 - 4.5 = excellent
4.6 - 5.0 = superior

1) Aesthetics: Beautiful chocolate wrapper hugs this nicely boxed pressed stick. The bands set it off nicely, making this a magnificent presentation. Light veins, but nothing that detracts in anyway.
Score for aesthetics: 5

2) Pre-light Construction: Firm from head to foot, this appears to have flawless construction. After the cut, the draw seems perfect, something that box-pressing a cigar can often constrict.
Score for Pre-light construction: 4.8

3) Post-light Construction/How it smoked: As I thought this draws nicely. The ash is a nice even grey and hangs tenaciously for a good inch +, being coaxed off rather begrudgingly. I had a nice cool smoke down the nub.
Score for post-light construction: 4.9

4) Flavor and strength: Right from the start I got some cocoa and coffee with a bit of spice. Dancing upon my palate was a symphony of flavors, crescendo-ing and softening, highlighting different things as it progressed. While there were other flavors present, I wasn’t smoking this to review it, so I didn’t pay attention to it in that manner as I might have. I was simply impressed that I was enjoying it so much. Oliva Vs are probably my favorite stick, but this was… more… That’s all I can say. It was never harsh or overbearing. I cannot comment on the nic hit, for I am not affected by it. However, the flavors were rich and full.
Score for flavor and strength: 5

5) Aftertaste/Finish: Light cocoa and spice lingered upon my palate for a bit, not heavy or light, just nice.
Score for aftertaste: 4.6

6) Aroma: I loved the room note – dark, sweet, and rich. That is the best way to describe it.
Score for aroma: 4.9

7) General Comments: I got two of these, and while I only smoked one, I know that I need to get some more of them. Too bad that I am not in the position financially to get a box of them or I would. I have had a box or two in my “cart” at a couple retailers, only to walk away because I just shouldn’t. This is a cigar where I believe the price (at $7-$8 a stick) is incredibly fair.
Overall score for the cigar: 4.85

8) Recommendation: This is one of the few cigars that I would label “Highly Recommended,” and I do so without hesitation.