What's new

Once in a while a cigar is really hard to draw...

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This has happened twice in the last year. Once with a Macanuda Maduro and once with CAO (something) so far. Very hard to draw. I have seen these tools that clear out cigars that are too tight, but couldn't I just take some TIG welding wire or something and jam it through there and accomplish the same thing?

Thanks

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Yes, you could. But you want a pretty thin piece of wire. And honestly, if you have the option, cut the foot and test the draw before lighting up. If it's too tight, throw that sucker back into the humi and grab something else. 8-9 times out of 10 it will open up with some time.

vperlman

Harleyrider
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I keep a couple of bamboo barbecue skewers in each of my humidors to open up plugged cigars. You have to be careful to keep the skewer straight, or else you will pierce the binder and wrapper. It usually works.

Sometimes you get a hard draw 'cause there is one plug in one spot. Some judicious squeezing can often open it up, but be careful not to crack the wrapper.

Sometimes the cigar is just wrapped too tightly. When that's the problem, you need to try the skewer/piercer method. Sometimes that works, and sometimes it doesn't.

Sometimes the draw is too hard 'cause the cigar is too moist. That's the situation where tossing it in the humidor, or maybe even a dry box, for a while will fix it.

Sometimes, none of the above will work. That's when you mutter some obscenities and just toss the sucker into the trash. I have a cigar buddy who brought a box of ISOM Upmann's to a herf last year. The ENTIRE box was irreperably plugged. It killed me to admit defeat and toss mine out... :riflefire

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
This has happened twice in the last year. Once with a Macanuda Maduro and once with CAO (something) so far. Very hard to draw. I have seen these tools that clear out cigars that are too tight, but couldn't I just take some TIG welding wire or something and jam it through there and accomplish the same thing?

Thanks
Check out our sponsor, Heartfelt Industries. He has a special on tools just for this purpose right now.

http://www.heartfeltindustries.com/

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
haha. That was a good thread jack, guys.

And the suggestion of trying the pre-light draw and throwing a stick back in the humidor if the draw isn't good is very helpful. Thanks!

Rating - 100%
20   0   0
I don't waste my time with them. A cigar is supposed to be an enjoyable experience. I simply realize that hand-made products will have defects from time to time.