What's new

Online trading forum?

cartisdm

Young & Eager
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
I'm interested in joining Scottrade or E-Trade, but I want to read up on online trading as much as possible beforehand. Anyone a member of a good trading forum or have any suggestions? I'd like to start off small, say $500-800 and see where I can go from there.

Skitalets

Laguito No. 2
Rating - 100%
73   0   0
I'd recommend Fool.com and the online community there.

I'm a finance guy by trade, so I'd just recommend being careful and being conservative. Playing the market is a negative sum game on average -- for every winner there's an equal loser, but everyone pays fees for trading. The only way to reliably make money is to seek out an information advantage and/or work against the common wisdom so you're not buying high and selling low.

Just my $0.02!

CigarSaint

Who Dat!
Rating - 100%
31   0   0

I'm a finance guy by trade, so I'd just recommend being careful and being conservative. Playing the market is a negative sum game on average -- for every winner there's an equal loser, but everyone pays fees for trading. The only way to reliably make money is to seek out an information advantage and/or work against the common wisdom so you're not buying high and selling low.

Just my $0.02!
Agreed. Unless you plan on putting the time in to study the market on a daily bases you're better off in mutual funds. If you're going to do it both are good, but I'd go with the one that will offer you some free trades.

cartisdm

Young & Eager
Rating - 100%
20   0   0

Just my $0.02!
Thanks for the tip, I'll check out that community.

Does anyone have any experience with Forex trading? This is something I've never dabbled in before but an article here supports it pretty well. The author mentions eToro and they have a "practice" account. I like the idea of not losing real money while I learn (assuming I give Forex a try...)

Skitalets

Laguito No. 2
Rating - 100%
73   0   0

orangedog

Navin R Johnson
Rating - 100%
83   0   0
my favorite forum is nuclearphynance.com - but the legit guys over there are all pretty much institutional quant types, so not the most conductive for retail trading.

wilmott has a forum that is frequented by retail traders, but that site is kind of viewed in a similar way to Taleb... yeah he's name is out there but is he really worth the hype?

what type of trading are you looking to do... forex, futures, options, equities, debt? what type of frequency? strategy? would be happy to discuss here on BOTL... I've been somewhat disconnected from real trading talk for a couple of years due to my line of work, but am hopeful to get back into it when things slow down.

Farani

Actually a Corona Gorda
Rating - 100%
67   0   0
Buy the book Come Inside My Trading Room. Keeping up with the market daily isn't all that hard. You pick a handful of stocks and you play them...if you want to swing/momentum trade. The biggest aspect of trading is money management. That means you know where to set stops to protect yourself against losing more than 1.5% of your capital at any time. You NEVER risk more than 1.5% of your capital. 2% is aboslutely the most! If you are wrong 3 or 4 times, you stop trading until the month is over.

Honestly, until you get more money to trade, you're better off paper trading. The smallest, realistic amount of money to trade with is $20k. I wouldn't reccomend margin, either. Keep saving money and paper trade your ass off, so when you have enough money, you're ready. With small amounts of money, you can't take many hits/mistakes before you're knocked out of the game. You'll get stopped out a couple times, and your account will be wiped.

Read Come Inside My Trading Room!

Skitalets

Laguito No. 2
Rating - 100%
73   0   0
Honestly, until you get more money to trade, you're better off paper trading. The smallest, realistic amount of money to trade with is $20k. I wouldn't reccomend margin, either. Keep saving money and paper trade your ass off, so when you have enough money, you're ready. With small amounts of money, you can't take many hits/mistakes before you're knocked out of the game. You'll get stopped out a couple times, and your account will be wiped.
That's true if the OP is day-trading (which very few people can make money at anyhow). However, you can invest successfully (not trade) with just a few thousand dollars.

My rec in that case would be to buy an index fund if one has less than $5K to invest (unless you're willing to take serious risks with the capital you have). After that point, you can invest $1K per stock and have a reasonably diversified portfolio.

cartisdm

Young & Eager
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
Definitely do not engage in forex trading -- unless you're a professional trader, it's essentially gambling. It's very, very easy to lose your shirt trading currency, especially since most people use leverage to juice profits.

Hey Skitalets, what you said sparked a lot of interest for me. Since your post over a month ago, I have been actively reading every article, blog, thread, post, and book possible about Forex. You're right, some people have DRAINED their accounts faster than you can blink!

It seems that over 90% of Forex traders lose money (and lose it quick!). My personality has always allowed me to benefit from going against the norm and that's what has really gained my attention about the Forex market. In fact, my average hours slept per night went from 4 down to about 2 for the past month. I can't stop reading about this stuff! :computer: It seems that the only profitable people are the "slow and steady" folk who can really (and I mean REALLY) stick to a system. Managing risk and reward allows traders to have a win percentage of 50% and still be profitable (reward:risk ratios like 1:1 and 2:1).

I think my age of 23 can give me a big advantage of time that others may not have. I'm in no rush to earn millions and I've got some money to invest that won't kill me if I lose it (although, ideally it'd be very hard to lose due to my low risk trade mentality).

Enough boring chit-chat. I opened up a demo account of $250 three weeks ago and have successfully grown it by 4% (compounded) per week. No trades ever risked more than 1% my account balance at any given point. I made a lot of trades, even some "day trades" that I wouldn't normally be participating in down the road but I needed to get a feel for the Meta Trader 4 platform one way or another. Some poor trades I took on purpose just to see the consequences so I could understand them better.

Obviously a month of research and three weeks of demo trading doesn't mean I am an expert yet by any means, but Forex really interests me. Anyone else considering it should definitely check out BabyPips.com and go through their School program.

Anywho, thanks Skitalets for pointing out how dangerous it was. It got me to do my research first! I'll keep checking back in to this thread with updates of my progress (or lack there of, if it happens!).

Skitalets

Laguito No. 2
Rating - 100%
73   0   0
Sounds like you've learned two of the most important lessons about investing: 1) risk and reward are linked, it's nearly impossible to gain higher returns without taking on more risk, and 2) no one is right 100% of the time, great traders are right 60% of the time.

Walter

Scott
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
I highly suggest investing that money in cigars at least that way when your investment goes up in flames you will have enjoyed watching it go.

Herfin' Harg

BoM March 2012
Rating - 100%
142   0   0
I'm interested in joining Scottrade or E-Trade, but I want to read up on online trading as much as possible beforehand. Anyone a member of a good trading forum or have any suggestions? I'd like to start off small, say $500-800 and see where I can go from there.
I'm in much the same boat. Been working as a "professional" for the last couple years, and now that my student debts are less daunting, I have been looking into getting my feet wet doing some low-value trading/investing. Made my first purchase after the dip last week, in fact.

You'll have to let me know how it goes for ya, and best of luck!