What's new

Onyx Reserve vs Onyx Vintage 97

taltos

token irishman
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been smoking the Onyx Reserve Mini Bellicosos for several months and love them, outside of AF Brevas, they are my special occasion smokes. However, at JR and I think one other vendor, I have seen the Onyx Vintage 97 Black Prince. What is the difference, and which is preferable to folks who have smoked both? Have another box of the Reserve coming in Monday from Cheaper Cigars and can't wait. Is it worth spending the money at JR for a box of the Vintage. I did notice that they cost about the same per box but Reserve is 20/box and Vintage is 25/box. Any opinions are requested. Thank you. Paul

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
'Fraid I can't help out on the Onyx as I never had them. Don't know where exactly your tastes lie, but I would recommend Torano Exodus (Gold) and Signature if you are willing to pay a bit more ($30 or so?) and enjoy Maduro smokes. The Exodus are just great tasting all around smokes and the Signatures are some of the best Maduro's I've ever had.

Sorry, I know that doesn't really help you out on your Onyx dilemna. :headroll:

Rating - 100%
206   0   0
Last time I had an Onyx was about 8 years ago.
I enjoyed the flavor, but could not deal with the hard draw / plugged issues.

Has construction improved on these?

taltos

token irishman
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:bottle: :bottle: On both the Mini Bellis and the Robustos the plugged issue seems to be lessened if they are kept at 65%. I did have some bad ones and Cheaper Cigars-NADA- replaced them. On the Mini-Bellis it was 3 in a box and on my first experience with the Robustos it was 1 in a 5 pack. On the other end of quality, have never had a problem with Sancho Panza Extra Fuerte Barcelona, Maria Mancini brands, AF Brevas, or Curly Heads, either deluxe or regular. So it seems to be a quality control problem, and if Onyx wants to be considered premium, the quality has to go up. Lately, the quality has been better. Last box of Mini's and my only box of Robustos have been perfect. They are the prettiest cigars on the market with their almost black wrappers and nice bands, so it is nice when they smoke as they look. Paul

Fox

BoM May '07
Rating - 100%
70   0   0
tedski said:
Last time I had an Onyx was about 8 years ago.
I enjoyed the flavor, but could not deal with the hard draw / plugged issues.

Has construction improved on these?
Not to my way of thinking. I got tired of fighting the draw issues about a year ago. Then, late last year, I bought some Reserve #4's, which, if you get one with a decent draw, is a great little smoke. I ended up gifting most of them and throwing several out because I needed a Shop-Vac to smoke them! Onyx has lost me for good unless they can definitively prove to me that their quality control has improved. It is really too bad because some of that Reserve line are very good smokes.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Smoked many of the Reserves whenever JR's had them in stock I would buy them. When the Vintage was introduced I tried them- liked the reserve better. The reserve is a much stronger and has better flavor than the Vintage.
Once I discovered other places to buy cigars I quit buying any of the Onyx line- would rather have a $2 Flor de Oliva Maduro than the Onyx. Better flavor profile and better quality.

MichiganM

The One, The Only
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
I've had Onyx Reserve. Not bad cigars, have a good flavor profile. They do have plugged issues constantly, which is a bit of a plague with this brand. Beautiful cigars and one of the few n/c's I find so many plug issues with.

Never had the Vintage, sorry.