What's new

Opus X Perfection #4

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was gifted one of these from a recent arrival at my local shop. I decided to smoke it while I walked the dog today.

I got the cedar sleeve off and the wrapper was stickey, like sap! It made my fingers stickey just to touch it.

I expected it to taste like cedar since it looked like it had tree sap all over it. It did start with a woody flavor but nothing like I expected so I walked on.

It burned a little uneven and took to corrections very well. It was very full flavored and the wood flavor gave way to black coffee with a touch of black cherry. It was very intense in the nose, spicey. Well into it a black pepper flavor began to dominate but remained very smooth.

I don't usually smoke these things and have not been impressed with many I've had over the years, but this one did impress me. It never got tart or tangy with no metallic tastes. It was a very pleasant, rich smoke.

I don't know what's up with the stickey stuff:scratchhe

Barry

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Sap from the cedar. I have seen it on the King Bs as well. That probably caused the un-even burn on the cigar. Plus Opus are usually a little wet and need some time in the humi to dry out before smoking.

Thanks for the review.

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
Nice review, glad you enjoyed it young. I usually try to let these rest a year becuase of all the bad burns I have had

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ususally pick up a few of these at a time but I've learned that sometimes they can be at thier best immediately. Other times they need a lot of time, so I usually smoke one and rest the others.

I have a collection of various Opus since they became available and I learned that it was to my advantage to take a sharpee and write the release date on the cello. They can really vary from release to release, at least that's been my experience. I've had the Lanceros go from great to terrible in seperate releases.

Barry

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
are these really that good?

and aren't they ungodly expensive?

can anyone help me out with this nagging question?

indyrob

BoM Feb '06 & Sept. '08
Rating - 100%
129   0   0

They can be really good, but I think the Opus Hype gets in the way of enjoying it the first time you smoke one IMO.

The prices are on the high side, but no need to refinance the house for one. You can get them for around $10 and up.

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
The prices are on the high side, but no need to refinance the house for one. You can get them for around $10 and up.
In some states. Not California. Average of $18 to $30.
Oh and thanks again
Pharmagator for the care package. :waving:

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
They can be found very cheap at Holts cigar store in Philly. Walk in only though.

jwintosh

BoM June 07
Rating - 100%
353   0   0
Let this be a lesson and remove all cedar wrappers as soon as you pick up these smokes.
i've always wondered that,,, i've been told to take the cedar wrap off, then, i start thinking (not always a good thing), it came like that for a reason.... is that the only reason to take off, sap transfer?

jeff

Donk

WTF is a Donk?
Rating - 100%
57   0   0

Larry I have been battling the same question too. I have smoked acouple and Have found myself asking the same questions

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
I think they are a good smoke if you can find them at MSRP. As with all OPUS IMO, they need to be put down for a year or you have burn problems from the oils.

I leave the cedar wrapper on as I feel it adds to the cigars flavor as it ages.

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
I think they are a good smoke if you can find them at MSRP. As with all OPUS IMO, they need to be put down for a year or you have burn problems from the oils.

I leave the cedar wrapper on as I feel it adds to the cigars flavor as it ages.
I am glad you said that. I always figured the cedar added to the package and was starting to wonder based on some of the responses. Never let one get that old until now.