What's new

Organic Cigars ??

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I just received the new Famous Smoke catalog. I see that Nestor Plasencia came out with a organic cigar line. The "Reserva Organica" involves "the same organic farming methods used 500 years ago" . A box of Toro's goes for $135.00, regular price $180.00?
I do enjoy most of the Plasencia lines but, organic cigars? I'm not the sharpest tack in the box but would it really make a difference in taste or "health benefits"? The add sounds like it it harvested, fermented, dried/cured the same way as "traditional" leaves/tobacco.
Sounds like a keen marketing tool. IMHO I would see no benefit in smoking organic cigars over non-organic, unless you really liked the way they tasted. At $135-180.00 a box, they better taste pretty darn good!
Any input or opinions for or againest :dunno: , just curious.

Happy Holidays :santa2:

Rating - 100%
42   0   0
Well some people would rather not have things in their mouth that have at some point been treated with pesticides. Or they may be ethically apposed due to the damage pesticides do on the environment. I dont think its any different than organic veggies etc. You aren't ingesting it, but you are still having that smoke in your mouth and that cigar on your lips.

I wonder what kind/quantity of chemicals tobacco growers use anyway... Like the average cuban or other cigar. Hmmm...

Rating - 100%
42   0   0
A lot of that info is about chemicals used to treat the tobacco after it is harvested. Usually organic when it comes to foods also means that the growing process of the plants doesn't use any chemicals. Sometimes it costs more because you don't yield as much crop that would be fit for sale. There are also natural alternatives to pesticides they use as far as I know. So there would be two parts to an organic cigar then: The growing of the tobacco and the processing afterwards.

Rating - 100%
42   0   0
Hey now, heres something interesting: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?CMD=Display&DB=pubmed

Medical article about Cuba's steps towards moving away from pesticides because of health issues of the people.

Don't think you can view the article without access to the publication though but heres the abstract:

Cuba provides a unique example of a country that is actively implementing a program to reduce its dependence on pesticides. This paper addresses Cuba's current efforts to develop and implement alternatives to pesticides and legislation to limit exposure and protect workers in the interim. In 1980 Cuba embarked on a national program to utilize alternatives to chemical pest control. This three-part program includes expansion of knowledge of Cuban agro-ecology in order to implement cultural control practices; research and implementation on biological control of pests; and research on plant resistance and development of resistant crop varieties. To date, the program has enabled Cuba to reduce pesticide usage in sugar cane, citrus, tobacco, corn, and vegetable crops, among others. While alternatives to chemical pest control are being developed, the Cubans are paying special attention to regulating pesticide use and the safety of workers and members of the public exposed to toxic chemicals. In addition to the Resolution on Health and Safety (1967) and the Safety and Health Law (1978) which cover all workers, including Cuba's 250,000 agricultural workers, the Ministry of Public Health promulgated Resolution 335 in 1967. This resolution addresses requirements and administration of structural pest control, production, importation, transport and storage of pesticides, as well as requirements for worker contact with pesticides, pesticides for domestic use, aerial application of pesticides, and violations of the regulations. The paper concludes with a description of how the system works on the provincial level, as exemplified by Villa Clara, and the steps that have been taken to eliminate worker exposure to pesticides, to utilize pesticides which pose less of a hazard to workers, and to assure early detection of ill effects.