What's new

Orvis Bandera Leather Jacket

Wasch_24

2005 BoY
Rating - 100%
196   0   0
Slammer said:
I was in NY last month and stopped into the Orvis store and looked at this exact coat. It is very nice.
Do you think it would be warm enough to wear in mid 30s to mid 40s?

To each his own I guess Erich. I could get myself a couple boxes of cigars for that amount of money instead...could I have your blessing then? :dance: :wink:

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
I'd be surprised if it wouldn't Todd, at least from the looks. And, to be honest, what kind of leather jacket would it be if it wasn't? :dunno:

Rating - 100%
33   0   0
Wasch_24 said:
Do you think it would be warm enough to wear in mid 30s to mid 40s?

To each his own I guess Erich. I could get myself a couple boxes of cigars for that amount of money instead...could I have your blessing then? :dance: :wink:
Okay maybe it came off a bit strong. But it's just what I meant if your wife is a stay at home mom I wouldn't make her use her personal funds to buy such an expensive gift for xmass or father's day. It's not like its a special anniversary or something. As for the couple of boxes of cigars hey thats your own funds not the wife's so I wouldn't have a problem with that. Now if your wife works and isn't a stay at home mom then I guess I don't have a problem with it then. But still seems a bit steep for the jacket but then again your paying for the name ORVIS afterall. Just my thoughts sorry to offend folks.

Wasch_24

2005 BoY
Rating - 100%
196   0   0
I don't know, I've never owned a leather jacket. I wear a Woolrich jacket right now that I have had since 1997 so I figure it's a good time to get a new jacket.

Wasch_24

2005 BoY
Rating - 100%
196   0   0
ehdg said:
Okay maybe it came off a bit strong. But it's just what I meant if your wife is a stay at home mom I wouldn't make her use her personal funds to buy such an expensive gift for xmass or father's day. It's not like its a special anniversary or something. As for the couple of boxes of cigars hey thats your own funds not the wife's so I wouldn't have a problem with that. Now if your wife works and isn't a stay at home mom then I guess I don't have a problem with it then. But still seems a bit steep for the jacket but then again your paying for the name ORVIS afterall. Just my thoughts sorry to offend folks.
Hey, no offense taken Erich. My wife works and she would be spending OUR money on it. :hysterica

Rating - 100%
33   0   0
Wasch_24 said:
Hey, no offense taken Erich. My wife works and she would be spending OUR money on it. :hysterica
Todd,

Fair enough then I don't have a problem other then I think it's over priced cause of the name ORVIS kind of like how Ralph charges more for his shirt cause it says POLO when an Izod or no name is just as good...well that is if its 100% cotton. Sorry I just took for granted that with you having a little one and another on the way that your wife would be a stay at home mom. I guess I was picturing your family the way mine will be once we have a baby. Our choice here is once we have a little one Jodi will become a stay at home mom to raise the kids.

Wasch_24

2005 BoY
Rating - 100%
196   0   0
I wish. We are considering selling and compromising on a house closer to town or relocating so that she can stay home.

I really don't think it's all that overpriced...we'll see I guess.

Slammer

arf arf
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Wasch_24 said:
Do you think it would be warm enough to wear in mid 30s to mid 40s?.

Sure, I was going to buy it for a winter coat and it gets much colder than that here. If I had'nt stopped at JR's before Orvis I would own it right now

Poni

BoM Oct 05
Rating - 100%
55   0   0
There are certain things that warrant spending good money on. Like a jacket, a good pair of shoes, a good suit, a nice watch... things that will last you a loooong time. For me i'd rather have one or two nice coats then 10 crappy ones, if it is a well made coat, it should last a lot longer.

jcgoldner

Jan '06 BoM
Rating - 100%
63   0   0
Ashy said:
There are certain things that warrant spending good money on. Like a jacket, a good pair of shoes, a good suit, a nice watch... things that will last you a loooong time. For me i'd rather have one or two nice coats then 10 crappy ones, if it is a well made coat, it should last a lot longer.
Larry, I agree with you 100% on that point! When I first started in construction in 1980 my Uncle told me to buy good boots and he recommended I try Red Wings. I went to the Red Wing store and saw the price was over $100 so I stayed with the $40 cheap boots I'd been wearing. I finally tried the Red Wings a few years later and found out what he was talking about. I never went back to the cheap stuff! Some things are just worth more!

CoventryCat86

Banned
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Wasch_24 said:
Uh yeah, in a marriage, there's no such thing as "your money" and "her money" it's ALL "our money"

Just ask any divorce attorney. :nodlaugh:

As far as the jacket, I'm personally not big on the style. I like black and a less "casual" look and there are plenty of leather jacket places that have what I like for considerably less than $350.00.

Lined leather jackets are fine for 30 - 40 degree weather. Some even have a zip out lining so they're not so heavy and too warm in the warmer weather.

Moglman

Mountain Hound
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
Orvis makes/sells great products, no question. I have purchased many items from them having once been a fly fishing guide. I get their catalogs in the mail too. On the whole, I find them overpriced, but have never had any question about quality or customer service. With most products, I would bet a similiar items could be found online, same quality, lower price, but maybe not for leather. If you haven't already, check out cabelas and other online resources.

Eric

Staff member
Rating - 100%
125   0   0
Wasch_24 said:
Especially Red Wing boots. :thumbsup:
Speaking of Red Wing...

Back when I was in elementary school, kids used to get picked on for wearing Red Wing shoes. Naturally, mother bought these for my brother and I.

About two years ago when my buddy and I drove up to Ft. Worth for a music concert we had a few hours to burn. I curiously walked into a Red Wing store across from Ridglea Theatre after remembering just how comfortable those shoes really were back then. I couldn't belive the prices on their shoes! Those el cheapos we got laughed at years ago for were now high $$$

I bought a pair and although they are pretty scuffed up on the outside now, they are still my main pair of shoes. They're champs!

PetersCreek

Brother Borealis
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I used to really like Orvis clothing but a lot of it has gone butt-ugly in recent years. I don't find much to buy there anymore. That's a darned nice jacket, though. Not my style but darned nice, all the same.

I've been wishing for the Classic A2 Bomber from Coronado Leather. This Christmas is out, though. The wife made an early gift of a flash for my camera so the big ticket gift is all taken care of. :hearteyes